Best Buy, Future Shop Accidentally Sold Fake iPad 2s in Canada

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

it might be these people who bought the tablet, take it out and put some clay in the box then bring it back and say they got cheated. How would the retail store know it since they did not see them open it.

DawnTreader

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2009
Wow. I thought that their return policy had change years ago when I bought that scrap metal in a Hard drive box and was told about the blocks of wood in Xbox boxes that people had bought their kids for Christmas...

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]SneakySnake[/nom]^^ ]until they get busted, the scammers are kinda stupid. I live in Canada, when you return something the take down all your information and stuff etc. just in case this kinda stuff happens. I had to show drivers license to prove my ID when returning a $400 tv[/citation]
and nobody has a fake id...

tlmck

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2007
This is not the first time Best Buy has been caught with it's pants down. I don't shop there anyway. Too many better choices.

guardianangel42

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
[citation][nom]tlmck[/nom]This is not the first time Best Buy has been caught with it's pants down. I don't shop there anyway. Too many better choices.[/citation]

Yeah. Basically I just go there to try things out before I buy on Amazon or Newegg. That or discover new things by wandering the aisles. I did buy an Insignia TV a while back and have been mostly satisfied.

igot1forya

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2008
Once back in '99 when I worked at Circuit City, some guy bought a DVD player and returned it the next day - when customer service opened the box they found a cinder block lol... the IDIOT would have gotten away with it had he not used his CREDIT CARD to purchase and return it with. If you plan to scam people, the least you can do is use CASH. Ugh!

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]JeTJL[/nom]Didn't Newegg accidentally sell fake core i7 processors a while ago?It wasn't Newegg's fault or Future Shop's fault that this happened. It's their supplier who gave them these fakes.[/citation]
This one was Future Shop's fault, they took the return without ever checking the contents. You never take a return without checking the contents to make sure everything is there.

srgess

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
Ipad 2s ? what the fu.... If you enought to buy a product that is not on the market by the official store well you deserve those clam.

classzero

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
[citation][nom]zybch[/nom]At least a lump of clay is useful for some things, unlike the box's original content.[/citation]

Really? That's why everyone is trying to make a knock off, or "iPad killer." Really?

kschen

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010
Not sure why they didn't open and make sure they were actually iPads being returned... I bought a Sony laptop more than a year ago at Best Buy and returned it unopened, and yet the customer service opened it and take out the laptop making sure everything was there.

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Have to blame the people accepting the returned iPads and not checking the contents. It should be possible for Apple to track the missing iPads using the info on the box and disable them.

__-_-_-__

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
[citation][nom]SneakySnake[/nom]^^ ]until they get busted, the scammers are kinda stupid. I live in Canada, when you return something the take down all your information and stuff etc. just in case this kinda stuff happens. I had to show drivers license to prove my ID when returning a $400 tv[/citation]
duh. FAKE ID?

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
That's actually a pretty clever idea. So a couple of guys probably managed to get themselves a hundred or so free iPad 2s. Of course its only clever if they don't get caught.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
Walmart said that while it is upset by the scam, it won't be changing policies at this time.

Right, they are so upset that they won't bother changing a simple policy which would have ensured this wouldn't happen to their own customers anymore. Really, what the hell Wal-mart?

G

if they all changed the policy then they would have to sell the product at 5% less or even more of a discount because the box is opened then. this would mean that they would lose even more $$$$

G

This is interesting I bought a laptop at my local Walmart in October and changed out minds. I took it back to Walmart it was still factory sealed and they opened the box and turned on the laptop. If more clerks were like his the scammers would not have a chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.