Best Buy: We Don't Want Your PS3 Consoles!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stardude82

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2006
Besides size and power consumption, I don't see any advantage to the PS3 slim over the regular PS3. $100 credit and a game seems about fair for a retail trade in. EBay systems are selling for about $200.

Zenthar

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
[citation][nom]hakesterman[/nom]I don't want a slim, less room for air flow thus more likely to over heat.[/citation]The again, the die-shrinked processor also means less heat.

gold5225

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2009
Smaller components so it will not need as much room for air flow as it will not displace as much heat.The Slim also has the capabilities to bitstream Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD audio and sync with Sony bravia and samsung tvs

Jazzmain

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
I don't think it Bestbuy can stop people from returning their products within the 30day return policy. Like Blessedman said, just go in there get your money back for it and go and repurchase it again, whether there or a different Bestbuy.

SneakySnake

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
Trading in for the Slim is stupid. You lose the ability to install Linux, and you get an HDD that is 40 GB bigger if you go to best buy and get your $100 trade in deal, meaning your paying $200 for an extra 40 GB's of space, and a (debatable) better looking case.

I'd take the $200 and buy a 64 GB SSD for my PS3 instead, or maybe a 500 GB 2.5" drive, or maybe a slew of new games.

To be honest I like the look of the old PS3's better

wasteoftime

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2008
[citation][nom]Soldier37[/nom]I'll keep my better looking ps3 from a year ago that I paid $540 with tax for with mgs4 bundle. I will buy my 19 yr old the new one. It's amazing the amount of people jumping on this bandwagon thinking their getting some new console, same ones that cried about the $399 price point forever. Well here is your chance now after whining for so long. The matte finish makes it look alot cheaper made.[/citation]

I have a MGS4 bundle as well. Nothing like a dualshock 3, backwards compatibility, all the extra ports, and power consumption that's only 30 watts higher than a slim (280 compared to 250). Plus you're right about the looks.

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
[citation][nom]exit2dos[/nom]The slim also has a bigger (120GB) hard drive.[/citation]
Never big enough for my i shoved a seagate 500 gig 7200rpm in mine in a week i tend to go overboard and the drive did seem to make things a hair faster over the other seagate drive in there good thing sata 2 is compatible shame the slim ps3 didn't get that hdd upgrade for speed.

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
[citation][nom]Stardude82[/nom]Besides size and power consumption, I don't see any advantage to the PS3 slim over the regular PS3. $100 credit and a game seems about fair for a retail trade in. EBay systems are selling for about $200.[/citation]
You don't pay for your own electricity bill, do you... Read up on a few spec changes and you'll realize exactly how Sony managed to make it slimmer and operate cooler.

mman74

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
I love it how the reduced the power consumption and heating issues by switching to 45nm. I love it how it is compact and smaller and lighter. I love the new price.
But why, oh why did you take out the ability to put on Linux!!! Did it really cost that much to support. I was seriously thinking of getting a second one and passing my old one to my nephew up until that point.

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
[citation][nom]SneakySnake[/nom]Trading in for the Slim is stupid. You lose the ability to install Linux,[/citation]

BFD even if the console was worth say $20 who cares.. its a console its pretty much made to do one thing. even if it sucks at it.

xophaser

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2007
Most stores will price match within 30 days, so just bring in your old recepit (within 30 days of course)and they should refund you $100 back and don't have to trade in. I got $200 back from Fry's on my TV, usually save 80-100 on my dell computer when the price drop within 30 days.

Why would people really want a cheaper version of a PS3. They cut out the touch senstive buttons, the option to install linux and the heatshink I would image gotten smaller, even if the chip shrinked.

G

yeah i bought my metal gear solid 4 bundle pack in august 2008 at toys r us for 541 dollars total after tax, it was expensive but worth it and it was cool getting a metal gear solid related product lol

waxdart

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
Are you able to swap the slim HDD?.
I have 500gb in my obese ps3 and it now runs as a lovely media centre.

I can't say I look at the console much, so the slim's looks (Which are not an improvement IMO) doesn't both me. A more energy efficient ps3 make sense; but not without being able to stick in a more storage.
I don't like the idea of needing to power a PS3 and power a PC and or NAS, just to watch a film. I have to pay the bills you see!

Status
Not open for further replies.