Best Buy: We're No Longer The Authority in Electronics

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Well when you don't have to deal with stocking fees and sales tax, people will go online and buy electronics for a lot less, then in retail outlets. Not to mention on items over 25 dollars on amazon you get free shipping ontop of that. I mean i have bought many eletronics devices from amazon and newegg that sold for a lot less then going to staples or best buy that were selling the same exact devices for a lot more and this is why retail stores like best buy and staples etc can no longer compete against retail online stores.

icepick314

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2002
they could have done SO MUCH MORE with Geek Squad but instead they buried them under the mud with poor customer service, shady "repairs" and high fees....

the only thing Best Buy good at is pushing unnecessary expensive HDMI cables from Monster...

hotroderx

Distinguished
May 15, 2008
You really have to feel sorry for both Circuit City and Best Buy: they were the place to go for anything related to electronics

Wow I think most are happy to see them finally go under. Best Buy has been the Trademark for lowest Customers Service for years. Maybe if they trained people decently and gave them breaks treated them like humans. Then maybe maybe there people would give quality service.

xerroz

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
As soon as I discovered Newegg I stopped going to BB. BB prices are ridiculous in comparison. Their customer service too. Much better to shop at Newegg and/or Amazon and wait a few days for your stuff (most of the time my Newegg purchases are delivered the next day even when it's free shipping). I once purchased a cake of dvds at BB which turned out to have too many coasters and they refused to take it back. I had the same thing happen with dvds purchased in Newegg and they gladly took it back (free shipping both ways even). A package I ordered on Amazon was not delivered in the estimated time so I emailed them and within a couple of hours I had a detailed response that included an apology and a $10 coupon. There's a lot of reasons why companies like Newegg and Amazon are taking these stores out of business and customer service is one of the main ones.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]crewton[/nom]I work in the energy field People need electricity to access the interwebs![/citation]

Don't count on it. More and more homes add Solar panels and Battery backups; I did.
When we had our big hurricane in s. Florida a few years back I was the only one in the neighborhood (for almost a month) with warm showers and a cold fridge thanks to solar on the roof ;-)

G

I suppose that having employees working that have no f-ing clue about what they're selling; just repeating the "bullet points" listed on the back of the box just to make a sale isn't a reason at all...

Prideless

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
I work for best buy but I dont buy there. Love amazon and the egg. I am very tech savvy but it wasnt Best Buy that taught me. As for associates that are more technical well its not going to happen around minimum wage and usually the employees are 17-20 are going to school and eventually leave; hence another batch of rookies come in taking their place starting from the ground up with training again. There is simply to many products to remember and of course customers can do a quick google bringing up all the vital information needed about the product. It would take eons for employees to learn all there is to about all the products offered in the store. A majority of training takes place on the floor with actual customers which contributes to Best Buys bad image with terrible employees lol. Customer Service is bad because they dont staff it enough. 1 person handling calls; 1 person handling returns and they both are responsible for taking store pick ups when they are free...

brett1042002

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
[citation][nom]XmortisX[/nom]Don't forget Microcenter, Newegg, Ebay....list goes on. Best Buy should've went out of biz a long...long time ago. Worst Customer Service, misleading/uniformed employees and"geek squad"is a joke within a joke.[/citation]

Jokeception?

*Mind explodes*

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
[citation][nom]ahnilated[/nom]Best Buy was never an Authority on anything. 98% of their stuff is crap and 95% of their people don't know crap.[/citation]

Amen.

G

good riddance. electronic revolution, embrace it or get outta the way. Shoot, I even buy my kids diapers online. Target and Wal-Mart have done a good job balancing their online and brick/mortar establishments.

erunion

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011
[citation][nom]Dyseman[/nom] So, the world needs to rethink how the economy will work after Automated Online Retailers soak up all $$. Everyone can't work for Fast Food, grocery stores and Delivery drivers.[/citation]

The economy exists to facilitate two basic task: production and consumption. (We produce to consume, and we can't consume unless we produce)

Retail is neither of those things, its a transaction cost. Reducing transaction costs is an economic gain, not an economic loss. As it free up more time/resources for production/consumption.

euston

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
Best Buy used to (and may still) recommend paying $40-$80 for HDMI cables (they're gold!) and they claim they were an authority on electroics?

G

I was in Best Buy the other day and they've definitely shifted their business model in a bad way to focus on selling service add-ons. I was in the store maybe 20 minutes to buy a router and got approached by salespeople many times...3 of those were by different salespeople selling DirecTV, 2 trying to sell cell service, and then I get hit up for their extended warranties when I checkout. Amazed I didn't get the Geek Squad sales pitch too. I just needed a cheap router asap and didn't feel like waiting for NewEgg in this case (although online is where I buy 99% of the time). Instead I felt like I was in a car lot getting hit up by salespeople every 2 minutes. Next time back to NewEgg and paying half without the sales pitches.

G

Many of you have obviously never worked in retail before... and it shows.

Here is what you WANT: to be able to go to a local store, view and play with the products, have an unlimited selection of quality to choose from, have knowledgeable sales people that know everything about the product and can help guide you, have a pleasant returns/exchange experience, and pricing that rivals or beats online vendors that do not have any of these costs.

Are you insane?

In order to have more knowledgeable staff, you have to pay employees more. Margins in electronics is very slim and the reason Amazon and Newegg is successful at their pricing is low overhead and they make it up in volume. If you don't have it coming in, you can't have it going out in employees' pay. Therefore, you get young adults with little experience/knowledge and on-the-fly training.

In recent years Best Buy has: 1. eliminated the 15% restocking fee, 2. given all products a 30-day return policy, and 3. close unprofitable stores in weak markets. They also continue to match BestBuy.com pricing, which every day changes pricing to compete with online vendors on popular products (note: not ALL products).

The last point I will make is this. Many of you on this site are tech savvy. However, you are a small % of people out there. You cannot argue that charging $69.99 for having a certified technician come to your home and set up a wireless network securely, connect up to 4 devices, and provide 6-months of ongoing phone or onsite support after the fact is NOT GOOD VALUE. Again, you are INSANE.

They charge $129.99 for virus removal. I do this for a living, and a typical system takes 8-10 hours for a complete thorough cleaning without reinstalling the OS. That's $12-$15 per hour for them to do it, that is a quarter of what I make. How is that not good value?

$29 for a software install, which includes all updates. If you need it, this is fair.

I'm a certified technician and network professional and I've bought their Black Tie protection on stuff. Why? Because the free battery I got for my laptop cost more than the plan and was guaranteed (I read the fine print, too, it's built into the plan). And if something does happen to it, even though I can do the labor I still have to buy parts and some of these manufacturers charge a whopper for one single part. So, again, how is this not value?

I think Best Buy does a lot right, but they are battling a lot of challenges on all fronts. Their Mobile unit is amazing and provides a ton of value. Their Magnolia dept. is setup nicely and has very high quality equipment. And I've even bought a few appliances there as well. Their no-interest programs are running all the time and I don't think I've ever paid any interest on any purchase I've made there in the last 5 years.

But they have a TON of work to do, both in customer service, training, and generating enough revenue to staff the floor properly and with well-trained individuals. They also have to be more competitive on accessory pricing with online vendors and make it easier to shop. With many manufacturers adopting a Unified Pricing Model, I think prices will eventually be identical between online and in-store, and then you'll be able to shop wherever you see fit. For this, Best Buy could be suited well if they can keep pumping $ into improving Geek Squad and Mobile.

I hope they stick around... I loved Circuit City, it was my favorite store and I miss them, especially when they used to be commission based. Thought they went downhill after they got rid of commission and let go all their best people.

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
"Not that long ago, Best Buy was the authority in this market; our stores wow-ed consumers," said interim Chief Executive Mike Mikan during a conference call with analysts.
Really, this guy ought to be committed to an insane asylum for delusions of grandeur. In no way did BB ever lead in anything.

There's a small, locally owned, audio/video shop in my area that I have been dealing with for years that constantly beat the local BB on price, service, technical knowledge, and, most importantly to me, integrity - on all audio/video products.

I've bought two laptops and a 24" monitor from BB recently, and the only way that I manage to get out of the store in decent shape is to refuse any garbage they try to add on. IMHO, BB is a joke and is lucky that their primary clientele is not tech savvy. Otherwise, they would have no customers at all.

classzero

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
[citation][nom]Logic 101[/nom]Maybe with all the retail jobs out of the way, people can go back to actually MAKING THINGS.[/citation]
Manufacturing jobs left when NAFTA was signed.

Status
Not open for further replies.