Best Buy: We're No Longer The Authority in Electronics

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rosen380

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
[citation][nom]extremepcs[/nom]They only made $158 million in net profit? Time to close up! Way too much greed in this country...[/citation]

They made $158M on $11.6B in revenue-- that is a touch under 1%. Are you arguing that a 1% net income is a positive?

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
[citation][nom]cwp[/nom]Many of you have obviously never worked in retail before...

Are you insane?

In order to have more knowledgeable staff, you have to pay employees more.

Best Buy has: 1. eliminated the 15% restocking fee, 2. given all products a 30-day return policy, and 3. close unprofitable stores in weak markets.[/citation]
Why yes, we are insane, but BB is having major problems. I wonder what is the matter? If they are sooooooo good, then why is their ship sinking?

Point 2 - as I said in my previous post, there's a locally owned audio/video shop in my area that easily beats BB hands down in pricing, service, technical knowledge, and INTEGRITY. They have been in business for over 120 years. Why do they survive and BB is dying?

Perhaps its because the local shop does not try to upsell with useless service policies, and other useless add-ons. Did you ever use any service policy you paid for? With any electronics product I have bought, I have never had to use a service policy, and that was because nothing went wrong with it.

Point 3. Several years ago, BB used to have a 30 day return policy, and NO, read that again NO restocking fee. If they are so Fn good, why did they start charging that fee??? And now BB customers should be happy because their policy went back to what it was before?? Uh-huh.

Personally, you and I disagree to an extreme. As I see it, BB has major problems when they cannot match the level of service from a 100-year old local company. One word comes to mind - INTEGRITY. As I see it, it is the one thing that BB totally lacks.

houghe9

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2009
What BB is missing is the warranty and customer experience. the warranty process the way it is now is a nightmare. people pay for the extended warranty but it is never truly explained that the money you spent on a 2 year warranty is really only one because the store will tell you its still under the 1 year that comes with the item for free. The only way i believe a store like that can survive is completely overhaul the customer experience.

1. if you have any issue what so ever you bring it to them and THEY will figure it out. customers dont want to have to go to work to get thier item working. i want to drop it off and tell me when to come back. online retailers cant provide the a$$ kissing and the apologies.

2. There needs to be a number that you can call for support that automatically gets routed back from india to the us to trained customer service representitives. If you arent getting the support you need drop it off at the store and let them call india. nothing against india its just when your 55 inch tv goes down in the middle of the superbowl and you are on the phone with someone who does not understand how important the super bowl is it can be frustrating. i want the customer service rep i call to turn the game on and set the phone next to it so i can listen to the superbowl while they find a solution.

best buy has no competition with this type of service and if they want to survive they have to find something that they can provide which nobody else can.

pitt89ice

Honorable
May 24, 2012
"fat" ps3 died after 6 years. Ordered a new one from Newegg, got it the next day, no tax and free shipping. Can't beat that.

ubercake

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
First, Best Buy was never an authority on electronics. The same kids working at Best Buy probably put their application in at their local grocery store, Wendy's and Best Buy on the same day their parents made them look for a job.

Best Buy went south when Circuit City and CompUSA went out of business. They no longer had a competing presence in the retail electronics market (not all markets have a Microcenter). They knew this and took every advantage of it. Customer service became a thing of the past and so did decent prices.

It's good that consumers have responded.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Best Buy can still survive against the online giants. Physically larger products are still better to get in person. More expensive products are better in person as well so you can try it out first and return it easily if necessary. Best Buy really needs to compete better on price and have better service.

Personally, I do most of my shopping at NCIX, they have better prices that almost anywhere else and will price match if they don't. They also have a physical store a couple of blocks from my apartment. Sure their service it terrible, but they are just so much cheaper than Best Buy (which is also close to my place).

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
Really? Just because Apple has made more money from its over priced bobbles for its mindless sheep doesn't mean they are the "Authority" on electronics. Amazon I get, adding Apple as a factor, not even. There are lots better retail outlets in my opinion (Newegg....) than Apple. This article was written by an idiot.

G

I would seriously be ecstatic and have a party if Worst Buy went out of business........ Theyve always been the "Worst Buy" PERIOD!

crysex

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
I used to go to Bestbuy frequently, but not anymore. The reason is simple - the price. I can almost find anything that is cheaper on Amazon, Newegg or other internet based retailer than Bestbuy. Sometime the price at Bestbuy is 50% more expensive than the online stores. I would rather wait for the three day shipping than that extra cost plus tax. Worst Buy at Bestbuy is what is happening right now.

G

Closing "many"? 50 out of 1100 is less than 5% U.S. sales are UP 5% The euro store closings dragged the numbers down.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
[citation][nom]belardo[/nom]While many people do buy online - the STORE is needed to compare the products, see the screen quality, etc. [/citation]

That's true. I can order a ton of different stuff from my favorite local online store, but in case of a screen or a PC case I'd like to take a look at it IRL first.

avgjoegeek

Honorable
Mar 16, 2012
I haven't shopped at Best Buy for years now. There selection, service, customer support, and geek squad all suck major donkey gonads.

I've always turned to online shops such as newegg or Amazon for stuff I need.

Tab54o

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
GOOD RIDDANCE!!!! Hate best buy. Trying to get me to buy a 50 dollar hdmi cable and ended up getting one for 8 bucks at fry's.

Tab54o

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
[citation][nom]euston[/nom]Best Buy used to (and may still) recommend paying $40-$80 for HDMI cables (they're gold!) and they claim they were an authority on electroics?[/citation]

HAHA I was just saying the same thing before I saw your post.

tinmann

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
They just don't sell a variety of computer components. They may have a hand full of video cards on their shelves but as far as motherboards, PSU's, cases and other PC accessories CompUSA has them beat hands down.

thrasher32

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2007
Society progresses, things change. Big Box electronics were obsolete by 2000, the economics are just catching up now. I haven't set foot in a Best Buy for at least 5 years, in fact I HATE going to a big box store of any type, I would much rather shop online and not deal with the sweaty masses.

In the end, Best Buy simply can't stock enough selection or price merchandise competitively enough to compete with Amazon.

Now as for Apple....REALLY? REALLY???

Status
Not open for further replies.