Best Cable Modem 2015 (Archive)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jrbdmb

Estimable
Nov 4, 2015
1. The title says "Best Cable Modems 2017" yet you're a few years behind some modems - what about the Netgear CM600 and CM700, or any of the new Motorola/Zoom modems?

2. What may appear to be Arris "easy-to-read indicator lights" in a brightly lit lab/office environment often become "disturbingly bright" in a home environment. Quite a few reviews mention avoiding the Arris modems because of this.

3. 4x4 modems are already end-of-line by the large ISPs, and 8x4 modems are the next to go. I'd suggest at least a 16x4 or 24x8 modem - much more likely you'll be able to keep it until forced to move to DOCSIS 3.1 or some other future standard.

Gumbis

Estimable
Apr 14, 2015
As far as being single or just a couple with a few devices, a modem/router combo or gateway should work out nicely. In my household, we have 5 people and about 12-14 devices connected at any given time. This includes phones, tablets, desktop PCs, a laptop and gaming consoles. If your household is like mine, having a gateway is not a wise choice. The reason for this is that your connection and/or equipment might need some minor maintenance (which is easier to troubleshoot/fix when separate) and built-in routers are extremely lacking in features. Also, if you're like me, the router end of the equation can only ever be updated by your ISP if it's contained within your modem. I had bought a Motorola SBG6580 and ended up disabling the internal router and purchased an Asus RT-AC3200 because of this. I may have dished out over $300 in just equipment but this equipment won't need replacing until gigabit internet rolls out. Also, I can update the firmware (internal software) with updates from Asus. If you're considering a gateway vs a separate modem and router, please consider these points.

ftolar59

Prominent
May 29, 2017

ftolar59

Prominent
May 29, 2017
Sorry, I didn't realize it was that old. I only found out it was no longer supported when it failed and I contacted Comcast Tech Support.

Kairn

Prominent
Jun 14, 2017
Recently I've been experiencing decreased speeds, and during the past week constant reboots. I checked online to see if anything was going on with the Arris SB6141 and compatibility. Comcast has EOLed the SB6141 for modem renters, and it appears as though it may now be incompatible for modem owners - I see this on my xfinity/comcast account. I also found online that the modem is vulnerable to a malware attach. I'll do more checking and have yet to confirm directly with comcast - but the evidence is mounting...

ftolar59

Prominent
May 29, 2017

ftolar59

Prominent
May 29, 2017
I've seeing what others have been recomending as best for use with Comcast. It seems that the ARRIS SURFboard SB6183 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem has a good reputation. Walmart sells it at a cost of $79.97.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS