Best Cheap Laptop for Programming

LegoMyGeggo

Honorable
Dec 15, 2013
Hi Guys,

It's been years since I did some programming and was hoping to get back into it. I travel a lot for work and I have a lightweight work laptop, but unfortunately, I cannot install anything on it. I was wondering if you had any advice on a lightweight laptop that I could carry around with me to brush up on my programming while I travel so I can practice on the go.

For my home use I have a Sager 9150 so I will be using that for more intensive stuff and when I am not traveling.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm not expecting a powerhouse laptop and I wouldn't want to go higher than $900; obviously, the cheaper the better :).

1. What is your budget? <$900

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? not sure

3. What screen resolution do you want? not important

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? portable

5. How much battery life do you need? 4 hrs?

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? No games

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.) Programming/tutorial videos

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? *shrug*

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? A few years

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? N/A

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

13. What country do you live in? USA

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

When you talk about "Laptop for programming", there are two important factors: Screen resolution (not screen size), and memory. "Cheap" laptop would mean mediocre 1366x768 resolution. Dell' E6410 (as mentioned above) can be had with various screen resolutions, while the Lenovo' screen is cr^%p.

If you go with a laptop, set aside $200 for decent monitor, keyboard and mouse. Your hands and your eyes will thank you.

pedrosa

Estimable
Nov 4, 2014
I think for a fair price under $900, the best laptop you can buy this HP Pavilion laptop.
It has a long life battery and it can run any program that you want because it has an elite quad core processor.
http://bestallinonepcreview.com/shop/hp-pavilion-17-3-laptop-computer-amd-elite-quad-core-a8-5550m-4gb-ddr3-750gb-hard-drive-anodized-silver-windows-8/

LegoMyGeggo

Honorable
Dec 15, 2013

Hey Alabacho,

Thanks for the response, I'm looking for something I can just use on the go when I'm traveling since I am gone for a week at a time. I'm currently just doing stuff on my Sager 9150; however, since it's too big to lug around with the amount of traveling I do, I want something light I can travel with so I don't go extended periods of time between learning.

Thanks again,
G