Best Drones 2014 (Archive)

Status
Not open for further replies.

glitchsys

Estimable
Nov 18, 2015
Brendan, SamsClub I think.
I just got the U818A HD+ (under the brand name 'Holy Stone'). I wanted something a little better than the regular U818A and the Blade Nano QX seemed too much like a toy. With the 90 dollar U818A HD+ (it's more upgraded than the U818A mentioned in this article, it has a 720p camera, return to home and headless features) I hope to learn to fly a drone and see if I enjoy it. I think it borders between a toy and a real drone. If the neighbors or whomever gets upset about the drone I can say "Relax, it's not a professional drone, it's just a cheap toy drone" and they'll be like "oh, ok. cool toy" and then let me fly/learn in peace. Once I master the U818A HD+ if I really enjoy it and want something more, next stop will be the DJI Phantom 3. But I figured besides learning to fly one, I'll get a better sense of peoples reactions around my house and around the park when I fly the drone. If I encounter nothing but resistance, or I simply don'y enjoy it, then at least I didn't waste 650.

Brandon_31

Estimable
Dec 2, 2015
Just curious why there is no mention of the Syma x8c? It would be great for beginners if not for it's size and mass, but other than that it is very affordable at ($70-100), very stable, easy to fly, has a cam, headless mode, and best of all it is very tough. I have crashed mine many many times and some times very hard crashes from 30ft up on to asphalt without an issue other than the plastic body getting just a little off, which is easily fixed.

True is is advertised at only 50 meter range, but the truth is more like 300 meters. I have tested it to 300 meters and still not lost signal. Many others have reported up to 450 meters right out of the box. There is also an easy to do modification that gets you over 1000 meters.

Overall I see it as a top 10 drone. I see it in the top 2 for affordable drones. It's not a "toy" or a "agile" quad, but it is a perfect camera platform when on a budget. If you want a Phantom, but cannot afford it, give the Syma x8 series a try. You won't have GPS, but once you get used to controlling it manually, it can be used almost the same as the Phantom.

Cory Mangine

Estimable
Jan 9, 2016
You really should change UDI drone the the Syma X5 because it is more maneuverable has a better battery life and is more durable. Plus the shell on the UDI is cheap plastic junk and breaks easily. So really you can get a better drone for the same price. Plus there is no way you'll be able to get a DJI Phantom 3 for under 900$ anywhere unless its black friday.

tennis daddy

Estimable
Jan 16, 2016
Seems like prices are falling fast - both Best Buy and Amazon have DJI Phantom 3 Standard for $500. That's going to be the price-point for the rest to beat.

Stokes344

Estimable
Jan 18, 2016
The Phantom 3 standard is now $499 and the advanced is $799. They had a $200 price drop starting the beginning of the year for the companies 10th anniversary.

ROG2000

Estimable
Jan 10, 2015
IMO a better list:
1) Hubsan X4 H107L
2) Syma X8C
3) Parrot Bebop 2 (I will agree with this one)
4) Yuneec Q500 4K
5) 3DR Solo
6) Yuneec Typhoon H

akattkisson

Estimable
Jul 21, 2014
We will check out the Syma x8c. It may not be on this list because we've not yet reviewed it.

DagFlagit

Commendable
Apr 28, 2016
Where is the Cheerson CX-20? I haven't had more fun flying and learning all the aspects the quadcopter hobby if it wasn't for the CX-20. It is priced very affordable and if you want to upgrade, it has the ability to be comparable to the top tier. Also, I would have to include the Syma X5c and X8c as the quads for learning the basics. The symas can take a beating and still continue to fly making it so a beginner does not lose interest when it is so important....

Jredwine

Commendable
Jun 7, 2016
Looking for some advice. Purchasing a drone for my daugther (16) who is very much into photography and videography (has a gopro too) but don't want to break the bank. Been reading reviews on Syma 8xg as well as Phantom 3 Standard. Clearly I like the price point of Syma but not sure if for her first drone I should be biting the bullet and buying the Phantom 3 Standard for what it offers. Any advice or other suggestions would be greatly welcomed!

Thanks so much!

akattkisson

Estimable
Jul 21, 2014
For a first drone, I wouldn't go all out. Buy cheap and let your daughter destroy it. It will crash, parts will break, before she gets the full handle on how to fly. Then, if she's really into it, that's when you get the fancy model. I would recommend the DJI Phantom 4 for the fancy purchase.

I

Distinguished
May 23, 2004
The jump in price from $82 without a cam to $450 is WAY too large. I feel it ignores the market segment most people are looking to buy within. At the same time I appreciate that it can be hard to keep track of all the new drones coming out of China instead of only established brands with time to get a feel for the user experience.

G

Please, how do I stop receiving notifications from coming through like a Facebook notification. There are way too many and they are disruptive for me.

G

Thank you -- what I was looking for, and couldn't find, believe it or not! Appreciated :)

Status
Not open for further replies.