Best Earbuds for Gaming/Listening

CreepyBobo346

Estimable
Dec 6, 2014
My Razer Tiamat 2.2's left earphone broke and I want to buy earbuds this time.

The microphone on the headset was a bit fuzzy (expected out of headsets), the earcups got slightly warm (but slightly warm gets me sweaty overtime because my regular gaming sessions are marathons for most people), and (back to the microphone) strangely my brother's Bose earbuds had a much better audio quality than mine.

Can anyone suggest me good earbuds that also have a good microphone?
I want earbuds that have good sound quality for music like dubstep, pop, and the genre of music of Hatsune Miku. (Whatever that genre is)
I also want a really good microphone because I chat on Skype with my friends and I will record overlays for gameplay or just commentaries.

I also like the FPS genre of games so earbuds that excel at that too would be nice.

My budget is $150 so I think I can get an excellent pair of earbuds for that price.

RazerZ

Honorable
Herald
Aug 18, 2013
Would you be alright using a separate mic paired with your earphones? Most in line mics have fairly poor quality and range, and unless you have a headphone/mic jack you would need to buy a splitter to get the mic to work. Using a seperate mic would also open up a lot of other options in terms of variety.

CreepyBobo346

Estimable
Dec 6, 2014
Wouldn't that be expensive?

I really don't want a $50 pair of earbuds and get the audio technica at2020. (Only microphone that I know is at $100)
But if the earbuds are within $70 and they are friggin excellent at what I listen to and do, then I could probably do that.

So what would you suggest?

RazerZ

Honorable
Herald
Aug 18, 2013
No, as long as you get a mic that can get the job done for basic communication you won't need to spend a lot of money. I have a 3 pack of Neewer lapel mics that I bought on amazon for around $7 and they would work fine for your purpose. Construction is terrible though so you will need to be extra careful when handling it.

Some IEMs (in ear monitors) in that price range that would likely be a good fit include:

- Yamaha EPH 100
- JVC FXT 90
- RHA MA 750

I would stay away from Razer for anything audio related for sure. Poor build and sound quality for the money.

I personally own the Yamaha EPH 100 and they are excellent for all those genres you listed. The bass extends deep and hits hard, but is not boomy or overbearing compared to what you are used to. They have a wonderful full and lush sound which most people would enjoy. They are solidly built with machined aluminum housings. When I bought them on amazon they were $120 now they're at $85 which is a total steal. I would recommend them in a heartbeat.

RazerZ

Honorable
Herald
Aug 18, 2013
Thought your budget was $150?

For ~$45 I would look into the Vsonic VSD1S if you're after sound quality and bang for your buck:

90% of the performance of the higher end Vsonic GR07 Bass edition for a quarter of the price according to joker in his buyer's guide:

http://theheadphonelist.com/holiday-buyers-guide-best-earphones-under-50/

Like I said earlier, stay away from gaming brands for audio products. They will be no good, overpriced, or both.

RazerZ

Honorable
Herald
Aug 18, 2013
Well if you want to spend more on a decent cardioid mic that is one way to go.

For the headphones you could look into the Takstar HI2050... takes its design cues and sound signature from the Beyerdynamic DT 880/990 PRO. It has a similar design to the 880 PRO, and the sound signature is in between neutral and V shaped (emphasis on bass and treble). For $50 they are great for what they offer, engaging and fun sound with decent clarity, wide soundstage (good for gaming), and comfortable as well.