Best for gaming under $1,000: Asus G46VW or Lenovo IdeaPad Z580?

Tex Henning

Honorable
Jun 1, 2013
1. What is your budget?
Budget is $1,000

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
Small enough to be carried to class and back all week

3. What screen resolution do you want?
Nothing jumps out at me, but I use 1440x900 on my desktop for playing games, and I like that fine

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Portable Laptop

5. How much battery life do you need?
Enough to be able to do light processing work while at class without dying

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Oh yes, primarily CIV: Brave New World, DOTA 2, minecraft, Sims 3, & SCP COntainment Breach. All of these i'd like to play at the highest settings that don't cause noticably low fps

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
Collegework, note taking, and internet browsing

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
Doesn't particularly matter, desktop has around 700GB

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
4-6 years

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
None that I know of

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
None in particular, but i've heard bad things about HP, and good things about Lenovo, my current desktop is a Dell

13. What country do you live in?
USA

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
Would like a laptop that is better than the Lenovo IdeaPad Y500 with a backlit keyboard if possible.

Tex Henning

Honorable
Jun 1, 2013
I went to a local computer store and they pointed me to a Lenovo IdeaPad Z580

My local Best Buy pointed out an Asus G46VW on clearance, but supplies are limited

My grilfriend received a Lenovo IdeaPad Y500

So which of these would be best for gaming for under $1,000, and are there any smarter alternatives?