best free antivirus/malware for XP

watrhous

Honorable
Nov 27, 2013
MSE wont run on it and the old defender that i used to have is gone. Is there a 'decent' free antivirus / malware that is not a major resource hog?

Solution
Avira is a great option, it doesn't stress your PC like Norton or Kaspersky would do, and it actually warns you about a file before deleting it, because sometimes antiviruses can think of a file as malicious when it's not and automatically delete it

Ak74Egy

Commendable
Jun 4, 2016
Avira is a great option, it doesn't stress your PC like Norton or Kaspersky would do, and it actually warns you about a file before deleting it, because sometimes antiviruses can think of a file as malicious when it's not and automatically delete it

Solution
https://antivirus.comodo.com/

However, you need to upgrade to a newer OS if you're concerned about online security & malware (and you should be concerned now more than ever).

More and more AV software developers have either stopped supporting XP or will do so in the near future. It's on borrowed time, well and truly. It's fine as an OS not connected to the net, but otherwise it's risky to use in my opinion.

watrhous

Honorable
Nov 27, 2013

I appreciate the advice and I agree wholeheartedly but its for someone who insists on XP. They have been warned thoroughly, lol.

watrhous

Honorable
Nov 27, 2013

i always thought you had to know and understand coding in order to secure your own linux box. I know neither. And this is for a lay man. Isn't linux hacked more than windows?

ahnilated

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2006

No you don't need to know coding to use Linux. Ubuntu is easier to install than Windows. And no, Linux isn't hacked at all compared to Windows as Windows in inherently insecure.