Best Gaming Laptop Under $850 Out The Door

BodyCarver

Honorable
Feb 10, 2012
Hello all I'm new here but I wanted your opinions on which laptop I should get.

1. What is your budget?
It can't be over $850 after tax and shipping. I'm in California.

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
15'' and up

3. What screen resolution do you want?
1920X1080

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
More of a desktop replacement.

5. How much battery life do you need?
2 Hours+

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Skyrim(High), KOTOR(high), Saints Row The Third(High), Battlefield 3(High...ish)

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
Pretty much just games and internet.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
250gb 7200rpm if possible

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
Any site with decent customer support.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
1 or 2 Years

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
Basic DVD writer/rewritable

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
Anything with solid build quality and decent manufacturer warranty

13. What country do you live in?
United States

BodyCarver

Honorable
Feb 10, 2012

Yes sir. The best I could ever hope to get to those settings if you please. =)

Wave Fusion

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2011
I don't really agree with the notion that 'desktops are over 5x faster than notebooks' and that's that.

The GPUs are much faster, sure, but between things like processors and 'effective' RAM it is fairly close.

I'd recommend an HP dv6 or dv7 with the AMD 7690M (Renamed 6770M, identical to desktop 6670)
It has 480 SPs, 725 MHz core and 800 MHz 1 GB GDDR5
It has a 1080p upgrade option, and the quad editions have an i7-2670QM, which is a slower, less power hungry version of the revered desktop 2600k (It has hypertheading while the desktop i5-2500k does not.

I can play all those games at high settings on mine just fine.

It might not be as fast as a desktop, but if you don't already have peripherals, a monitor, or desk and want decent gaming power you can carry with you, I'd recommend it to anyone and it has served me well for nearly a year. (dv7t-6000 quad edition)

However, there could be hardware updates around the corner in a couple months.. that one's your call

EDIT: I just noticed the guy above me recommended the same thing.
Nice