Best Headphones for $50?

Status
Not open for further replies.

THSNOTLEK

Honorable
Aug 14, 2013
I was looking at the Sony MDR-xb600 and two reviews said the bass is to high. I'm looking at these for gaming and putting a Zalaman on. There's also Razer Hammerheads which are earbuds that also are said to have to much. I like the style of the sonys are there any you can recommend that are good.

Solution
well... if your budget was larger i would definitely recommend the audiotechnica ath-m50s. they can be found on ebay for $100 sometimes. often as "open box" but still brand new. (returned within hours of buying since they wanted the m50 which is the coiled cable version).

however for $50 i would have to say you might want to give the ath-m30 a try. while not as great as the m50s (its 1/3 the price) and while it doesnt have the bass of the m50s (but again its not lacking either) its a pretty balanced headphone.

here is a mini review by an actual user.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/119043/mini-review-audio-technica-ath-m30

i'm not saying they are they only headphones to buy... as there are plenty other good choices but it may be worth...
well... if your budget was larger i would definitely recommend the audiotechnica ath-m50s. they can be found on ebay for $100 sometimes. often as "open box" but still brand new. (returned within hours of buying since they wanted the m50 which is the coiled cable version).

however for $50 i would have to say you might want to give the ath-m30 a try. while not as great as the m50s (its 1/3 the price) and while it doesnt have the bass of the m50s (but again its not lacking either) its a pretty balanced headphone.

here is a mini review by an actual user.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/119043/mini-review-audio-technica-ath-m30

i'm not saying they are they only headphones to buy... as there are plenty other good choices but it may be worth checking out. since you dont like excessive bass like the XB and seem to like the style of large over the ear studio type headphones i recommended the m30 as a possible suggestion. your choice. read reviews, check what other people out there are saying.

the ath-m30 can be had on sale for $50 at guitar center sometimes or perhaps even less on ebay.

you can find quite a few other suggestions by looking in google for "best headphone under 50"

Solution
a desk mic isnt a bad idea.

you can put this on the m50s as well.. to add a microphone to it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ic4fSzXToSs
antlion modmic 2.3 is only $35

m50s for only $99
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Open-Box-Audio-Technica-ATH-M50S-Straight-Black-Pro-Studio-Monitor-Headphones-/271320155963?pt=US_DJ_Monitoring_Headphones&hash=item3f2bf1073b

i saw this a few days ago (recommended it to another user when the auction was ending) and it looks like its relisted. looks to be a good deal if you are interested. this + modmic would set you back only $136 (+shipping for modmic, shipping on headphones is free).

the deal for the m50s and the desk mic isnt too terrible either but i'm not sure how good the mic is. the stand really isnt all that great either. you can buy stands with legs (look at the audio technica mics) which allow you to direct the mic for best performance unlike that mic mount.

THSNOTLEK

Honorable
Aug 14, 2013
Can I buy a new mount for it. I was kinda going to get a zalaman anyway it's like 11 dollars just clips on to the side of the mic. A mic like that would be better quality anyway it has some good reviews on amazon?

the zalman mic will work but you get what you pay for. its far from being stellar performing. if you intend to do any sort of serious recording you want something better.

this is why i recommended the modmic or a desk mic.

you would need to speak up louder if you went with a desk mic. a modmic would pick up even softer spoken words which is good if doing game reviews while playing ,etcetera. if you're doing product reviews or a talkshow then a desk mic is better.

you can buy mounts.. but thats extra money. honestly the one included would likely work i just dont care for the style myself. i'm a fan of the 3 tripod legged design of the audio technica mics. to each their own.

i've listened to quite a few commentaries on youtube and while not terrible it does sound like the mic puts an emphasis on low bass tones instead of highs. in other words it doesnt sound all that great to my ears.

your choice... all i can do is give you options.

Status
Not open for further replies.