Best Headphones Under $150?

BigOlGerald

Estimable
Oct 8, 2015
I need some studio monitor headphones for mixing music as well as listening to music and would like some suggestions.

Solution
You can always try the Sony MDR-7506, those things are the successor the the MDR-V8s that practically everyone used in the 80s and 90s for studio work, and should give you some great performance for ~$100

BigOlGerald

Estimable
Oct 8, 2015
I actually went for the Audio Technica ATH-M40x, after hearing they were some really nice flat sounding cans in the price range. Some were even saying they were better than the Sony 7506. Now that I have them they do sound really nice and quite flat, I can still return them though for the Sony headphones. I don't know if you know or have any experience with my headphones, but if so would you recommend them over the 7506?

Those both have high reviews, I've done some small time listening with both at stores, but don't personally own either. Tests were done in a fairly quiet place, but obviously no special amps or anything, and each headphone does sound slightly different, but not necessarily better or worse (though testing low end things from panasonic and logitec in the same place did definitely sound much worse)

You can also check out the HD 558 and similar headphones, though they are open type and might not work as well if you have noisy environments.