Best laptop for $1000?

Waspy

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2005
Hello what would be the best laptop for these uses:

1.) Paper-writing/web browsing/iTunes.
2.) 17" display preferred to see more of paper.
3.) Ability to play some games...don't expect any miracles for $1000 though.

Prefer a Dell laptop and it must be running XP or Vista for compatibility with the school's word processing software etc.

Any suggestions?

boonality

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2008
I like my Dell 1505. I have no regrets. I think that model isn't available anymore though, they are up to like 1520 or something now.

diro

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
Hi there,

I work at Best Buy and you should know there's a big jump in price to a laptop with a dedicated graphics card. The Gateway FX series is usually the best value gaming laptop and it retails for about $1250 when on sale. We usually have good deals going on for non gaming laptops, just look for the best price on a Core 2 Duo, stay away from AMD and the Pentium duals and you should be fine.

houstonserenity

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2008
Hmm craegslist.com

every now and then thy have good deals. ie I got a 7900gs oc agp vid card for my old P4 system for 60 bucks.

mojojam

Distinguished
May 4, 2008
diro wrote: "stay away from AMD and the Pentium duals and you should be fine. "

For what you're using it for it doesn't matter what brand of processor is in it. Heck, for most users it won't matter what brand of processor is in it. Just make sure it's something relatively current.

If you buy from any retail store you'll most likely get Vista Home basic and won't be able to downgrade to XP. If you shop from Dell's website you may be able to downgrade to XP (not sure if that's only for business computers or not.) Be sure to check techbargains.com for deals/coupon codes. If you're a college student you might also want to check out delluniversity.com to see if they have any special deals for you university.

Waspy

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2005
Cool information, definitely some more looking to do based on this information.

Another question:

I see a lot of laptop HDDs are only 5400 RPM. Coming from a desktop world, this is a disappointment.

How much does a 5400 RPM VS a 7200 RPM HDD on a laptop affect performance?

rodney_ws

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
You can totally find a laptop for that price with a Nvidia 9500GS on NewEgg. That GPU is somewhere between the 8600 GT and the 8700 GT parts. Since you're not expecting miracles, I don't think you'd be disappointed going that route.

bliq

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
Its a trade off on the hard drive deal- the slower drive uses less power. I agree the Gateway FXs are good deals but only if you primarily wish to game- they cut corners on other stuff to fit in the killer 8800 graphics. Also, isn't the FX a 17in screen? If you actually want to carry your laptop somewhere, try to stick with 15 or even 14 in screens with good resolution, at least 1440x900, 1680x1050 if you can find it.

I'd be looking for something with 8600M graphics if you really want to play games.

bliq

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006

The only thing that bugs me about that laptop is the resolution- 1280x800 just doesn't cut it if you do any serious work. I make my living off my laptop and it's got to productive. I guess, though, for the needs the OP stated, it would be fine.

With such a nice video card, you'd think there would be some option to buy that thing with an updated LCD.

BTW, my co worker has an Asus laptop and has never had any problems with it. Might be related to the fact that he's running Ubuntu and not Windows, but that's just pure speculation...

rodney_ws

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
Yeah, the screen is a downer, but that's the same resolution as my current laptop so I've gotten used to it... the lower resolution should just mean you get to turn up the AA a bit more in games and hopefully that'll compensate. But in general office work, yeah... I see your point.

Another thing about Asus... check out that warranty... that's very generous for a laptop in that price range.

rodney_ws

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
A common complaint I hear about Asus laptops (although I've never heard one in person) is the quality of the speakers... I've read several complaints with people saying you'd better be prepared to use headphones. Toshiba has a couple of laptops (they're massive) with Harmon Kardon 4.1 speaker setups. For me the perfect laptop doesn't exist yet... the Gateway has the GPU muscle, Asus has several with the 2.5 Ghz CPU, and Toshiba definitely has the sound part down... the problem is that I want all of that rolled into one machine that doesn't cost over $1250. And so I wait.

Onus

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
The X1300 in my Dell 1505 can manage some games, although on low settings. Battery life is good; well over 3 hours, but I think I was just playing Diablo II on a flight from TN to MN. I paid <$900 for it a couple years ago.
That ASUS has nice looking specs, but the battery life probably sucks unless a 9-cell battery is also available for it.

doomturkey

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2005
I would stay away from Dell if I was you, I own a Dell laptop w/ 2ghz TurionX2 2gb RAM, ATI IGP, and its junk. Sure its pretty quick, but made of extremely low quality parts and has the tendency sometimes to freeze when I tell it to shut down, or randomly lock up, and I've seen other peoples Dells that have some of the keys popped off b/c they are so low quality.

Just be careful what you buy.

rodney_ws

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
I'm pretty sure you can expect barely an hour when gaming on the battery. That's just the nature of the beast. Currently no $1000 Dells seem like a decent gaming laptop... in my opinion at least.

tarata

Distinguished
May 14, 2008

My Asus laptop is fine in every way. I think all laptop speakers sound the same and would need headphones or high quality speakers to produce high-definition sound. And I agree, the warranty is pretty generous.