Best laptop for a programmer

cats_Paw

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2007
Big screen is most important to see as much code as possible. Rest is not important at all unless you are programing games (in wich case you would have a company desktop pc for that so i guess its not the situation).

I advice external keyboard and some laptop stand for sitting confort as well.

Hephe

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2011

Pls just give a durable specs cos d e system i got gives me headache concerin d battery,speed and many more.

geofelt

Distinguished

The best pc for software development is a desktop, not a laptop.
With a desktop, you can have multiple large displays which is very helpful.
A desktop will give you more performance per dollar.

On a laptop, you are restricted to smaller 17-19" screens and only one.
Just how much do you value the portability capability of a laptop?

rmczar

Honorable
Mar 2, 2012

portability is a must.... for automation applications startups, you need to go to the job site. Also a native serial port is a must have but no laptops have them now.

I'v had very little luck with usb to serial converters. Often I need to connect to older controllers and othe devises and I had to make up some crazy connecting cables. The converters are fine for a mouse of a modem but when you need to wire all the pins, maybe at both ends, sometimes with jumpers and such across some of the pins or send 5 vdc out the convertens nerver seem to work.

Also, screen depth is a must to see as much code or ladder logic as posible. Todays laptops are for games and movies but I don't get paid at a startup for that.

Just my two cents...