Best Laptop for Datascience, AI, Machine learning fields

Status
Not open for further replies.

punna111

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013
Hi,

Please suggest the best Laptop for Datascience, AI, Machine learning fields related work.

seen below link:
http://lineardata.net/how-do-you-choose-the-right-laptop-for-data-science/

Please help.
Thanks,

Reactions: alexsaunders790
Solution
AWS or Azure can provide you resources that you otherwise could not afford. 200GB RAM? No problem. Tesla V100 coprocessors? No problem. All accessible via a browser. If you are a student somewhere, you may be able to get a student demo subscription to AWS or Azure.

kanewolf

Judicious
I wouldn't recommend a laptop for any of those. A desktop with options for expanding RAM, CPU, GPU and storage will last much longer in those areas than a laptop. Get an inexpensive laptop to do your portable data collection or note taking and use a desktop for the crunching.

marksavio

Prominent
Dec 23, 2017
but with the advancements of powerful laptops these days. better copper heatsinks for slimmer laptops. and he doesnt need a powerful graphics card for his line of work. and maybe at least a 3.5Ghz 6 core should be great for you. w/ a dual channel 2x8Gb looks good enough for the type of work he is gonna do. and a samsung pro ssd. just sounds about right.

kanewolf

Judicious
AI and datascience need BIG datasets. That is not a laptop's strong point. Having a desktop "server" that can run unattended that he can remote into from a lower end laptop makes more sense to me. But, I still prefer a desktop at home and at work.

punna111

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013
Thanks both of you..

I already have a desktop, with 8 GB RAM and AMD FX 8320 eight core processor. but for mobility purpose it is becoming hard for me. so that's why I am looking for a Laptop. May be now I have to choose one option from below 2 options:

1) choose good high configuration laptop
2) choose Normal config laptop + some virtual machine like AWS or Azure

I recently came to know that with normal config laptop also we can do a lot with help of AWS or Azure. is that true? if yes how it works? and what is the price of it?

and finally what is the best option for me?

kanewolf

Judicious
AWS or Azure can provide you resources that you otherwise could not afford. 200GB RAM? No problem. Tesla V100 coprocessors? No problem. All accessible via a browser. If you are a student somewhere, you may be able to get a student demo subscription to AWS or Azure.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.