Best laptop for Graphic Design, Programming and occasional gaming

Sudoer

Estimable
Aug 11, 2015
I am buying a new laptop and need some help choosing one.

1. What is your budget?
Preferably under $1000. The lower for the given requirements, the better.

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
14" - 15.6"

3. What screen resolution do you want?
FullHD (1080p) or better

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Portable

5. How much battery life do you need?
Minimum 5-6 hours, desirably more.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
I want to be able to play games like CS:GO, Minecraft (good framerate on this one is needed because of mod development I do on it), Dota 2 and maybe more resource intensive games in the future at least on low settings.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
Graphic Design (Illustrator, Photoshop), Video Editing (After Effects), Programming, Music Composition (FL Studio)

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
250+ GiB SSD preferably, but 125 GiB would be acceptable as a lot of the work would be done via cloud.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
I have no specific sites I plan to buy from.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
4+ years

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
Optical drives are not a must.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
I like Dell, but different brands are definitely not a problem.

13. What country do you live in?
Czech Republic, I have no problem in buying in other countries (even US) as I don't like the Czech keyboard layout and prices are much higher.

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
The laptop shouldn't be heavy and should be relatively easy to carry around in a schoolbag (I have one made with a slot for 15.6" laptops). It should be stylish, made from good quality materials. I plan setting a Dual-Boot on it, but that shouldn't be a problem on any laptop. Touch display is not required and may even be annoying, but shouldn't have a big impact on the choice.

Laptops I've considered:
Dell Inspiron 15 7537 (2013)
Lenovo IdeaPad Y50-70 1080p

EDIT: A good keyboard is a must as a lot of programming will be done.

Rohan77

Estimable
Jul 14, 2015
y50 70 is too costly. go for a laptop with gt 920m or 830m graphics card and choose i7 processor.

these are best for ocassional gaming and programming. go for 8 gigs of ram

naturesninja

Honorable
Dec 15, 2013

Not much good for playing games right now, let alone next year.