Best Laptop I can order for $300?

Atunzuman

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011
On a very low budget: $300

Trying to get the best laptop I can get for $300:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+...lack/7685047.p?id=1218858193070&skuId=7685047

That's what I'm looking at right now.

Going to be used for general college work, entertainment, and personal use.

Need help, thanks. [Cannot be refurbished.]

1. What is your budget?
$300

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?

I'd like 15.6" or bigger

3. What screen resolution do you want?
Doesn't really matter assuming it's not terrible.

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Portable

5. How much battery life do you need?
The best available while still being a good laptop.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

Probably not.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)

College work, watching movies in HD on youtube etc.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?

Atleast 500gb

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

Any reliable site.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?

Throughout college so about 5+ years.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
Doesn't matter.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
Doesn't matter.

13. What country do you live in?
U.S of A

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

Help me please :)

Solution
Personally, I would not invest in a new laptop at $300 ..... for a new one, I'd suggest a budget of at least $650. For $300, I'd try and catch someone upgrading and buy their used one.

Atunzuman

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011

So the one I posted is inadequate for college work?

By the way this isn't solved....so if someone could remove that, that would be great!

rglaredo

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
I'm on the same boat ..I got 3 options ...(tigerdirect), (newegg) or just buy one from Dell (xps laptop) and make monthly payments.

Dell xps
Asus
Acer
lenovo

those are the brands I'm trying to decide ..

to be honest the laptop is for my wife she mostly only surfs the net, get into Facebook, watch YouTube, read kindle books , and needs to read word documents and .pdf files ...she does not play games (except the ones on YouTube or google). And she likes screens size less than 15 inches ..the more portable and bulky the better ...

I'm thinking something like these deals...

http://www.dell.com/us/dfh/p/d/campaigns/dell_outlet_hot_deals_dfh.aspx

For $300, you will get some laptop which will work. Don't expect fast, light, with great battery product.
I would not bet it will work (or it will be adequate for what you will need) in four years of college.

I would rather save another $200, to move into $500 price range, where choice is much wider, and laptops much better.

Atunzuman

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011

Why not the one that is new and has Windows 8?

And to the guy above me? i7, 8gb RAM, laptop? For $300?!!? What nooo waayy? Where would you find such a deal?

redstring

Honorable
Jun 2, 2012
From what it sounds like you want out of the laptop -- you're not going to find this in a $300 new laptop. Used will be your best bet. It's like buying a car, a lot of the times you will find a used one that's just as good for a lot less. Brands to look for are Asus, Dell, and Lenovo. Lenovo tends to have the best build quality. Asus sometimes gives you slightly better hardware but makes up for it in lower quality build (though this isn't always bad, not everyone needs Thinkpad quality!). Dell often is a mix of the two, meeting somewhere in the middle.

Of course, this isn't for all models and it comes down to you needing to watch proper reviews, preferably video reviews, of whatever model you're looking at before you make the decision to purchase it. It often comes down to comparison of models, NOT brands.

Now, with that being said, I was recently looking to purchase a new laptop and ended on this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834131444

It's $399 but if you can somehow come up with the extra $100 you will not find a laptop better new laptop in this price range with these specs.

Well never mind, it's not 20% off anymore :(

tomshardwarerocks

Honorable
Aug 27, 2012

You just need to be patient. It could take over a year of shopping around to buy a laptop that cheap.

Go to bestbuy or futureshop's website, go into Laptops&Ultrabooks, look at the on-sale ones, bookmark the link.

Then just check that link once or twice a week, eventually you learn so much about laptops that it would be impossible for anyone to sell you an over-priced laptop.