Best laptop option for Architecture School?

dove4991

Commendable
Aug 5, 2016
Hello. I'd like to request a bit of a consult on laptop options. Thank you in advance to anyone/everyone for any assistance. I've looked through a few of the other threads of this nature, but they seem to be a few months to a year or two out of date so I'm posting to get more recent replies/suggestions.

I am a university student majoring in architecture. I need a new computer to get me through the rest of school (approx. 3 years) and perhaps a couple more years after that. I've been looking at several potential brands for the purchase but I am having trouble navigating the different options. I typically use my laptop for basic computing (word docs, internet, etc.) and design work (Rhino, CAD, Adobe creative suite, etc.) I don't need it to be a 2-in-1/convertible as I have a separate tablet already. A peer recommended MSI but I'm uncertain which of their lines would work best for me. I don't have an ideal budget as my family will be assisting with the purchase, but (of course) more affordable is better.

I don't have extensive computer knowledge but I'd like most or all of the following specs/features (as recommended to me by the school):

Specs:
15.6" screen size (or anything b/w 15"-16")
Hybrid hard drive (1TB total minimum)
most up to date processor (I believe currently Intel i7-6th gen?), ideally quad core for more power?
the best graphics card possible (ideally removable/replaceable)
24gb of RAM minimum (maybe as high as 32gb)
impressive battery life (ideally 6-8+ hours)

Features:
backlit keyboard
touchscreen isn't a deal breaker (I'm pretty take it or leave it on that point)
I'd like an optical drive for DVDs (blu ray not necessary)
webcam

Thank you again for any help.

Solution
First of all, most laptops graphic cards are not replaceable and if they are, they are most probably the expensive laptops. For 24 GB RAM included, again you'll have to pay a hefty price to get that. You'll have to get one with 8 GB or 16 GB RAM and add another stick yourself, it'll be cheaper. Also, please specify a specific budget so that I can post precise recommendations.

xDeuiii

Commendable
Mar 1, 2016
First of all, most laptops graphic cards are not replaceable and if they are, they are most probably the expensive laptops. For 24 GB RAM included, again you'll have to pay a hefty price to get that. You'll have to get one with 8 GB or 16 GB RAM and add another stick yourself, it'll be cheaper. Also, please specify a specific budget so that I can post precise recommendations.

Solution