Best laptop option for med school

Jibbers

Estimable
Aug 11, 2014
Hi There! So i'm trying to pick out a new computer that will last me through 4 years of med school. My current HP is 5 years old and is having problems. I'm currently looking at the Lenovo U530 Touch with a Core I7. Here's the link for it: Lenovo (Not sure if it will work correctly because I'm on the student page). It's listed at $799 after $400 off and I'm thinking it would be a good option. I've tried looking at Dell, HP, and Samsung as well and the only one I can make comparable is one of the 15in HPs. The Samsungs are significantly more expensive and Dell has lower specs for the same amount.

Would anyone be able to offer me advice regarding which laptop to go with? Is the Lenovo a good deal? Should I maybe wait a bit for the 5th gen Intel Core processors? Thanks!

Solution
Check with your medical school. A lot of them offer fantastic deals on laptops for new students. I know UW-Madison's program gives brand new macbook airs for about $500. That would be your first bet.

I personally think your best bet is to buy a microsoft Surface Pro 3. I have a Surface Pro 2 (I'm a teacher) and it is fantastic. It's a full featured laptop while also being a tablet. The keyboard is great, touch screen good and it travels extremely well going from classroom to classroom. Worth a look for sure.

Jibbers

Estimable
Aug 11, 2014

I honestly don't know everything I'll need it for. I do my gaming on my desktop so I have no interest in a dedicated gpu. Otherwise I think I just want processing speed, a decent hard drive, at least 1080p on the screen and at least 8gb of ram.

Steve Simons

Estimable
May 31, 2014
Check with your medical school. A lot of them offer fantastic deals on laptops for new students. I know UW-Madison's program gives brand new macbook airs for about $500. That would be your first bet.

I personally think your best bet is to buy a microsoft Surface Pro 3. I have a Surface Pro 2 (I'm a teacher) and it is fantastic. It's a full featured laptop while also being a tablet. The keyboard is great, touch screen good and it travels extremely well going from classroom to classroom. Worth a look for sure.

Solution