Best laptop to salvage parts from my current laptop

joeknockz

Honorable
Sep 30, 2013
Hi. I have a Dell 15 7559. It has 8gb ddr3l, 256gb ssd, i5 6300HQ, and a NVIDIA 960M 4GB. The laptop housing basically started falling apart. It's all plastic and some of the prongs have broke. When I lift the screen, the entire left side back comes apart by about an inch. And then I can kinda close the gap after it's open, but there's always at least a small gap there. The internals all work fine, so I want to try to salvage most of the internals (the parts listed above) if I can.

So my question is, should I try to put the internals from my laptop in a new housing? And if so, any recommendations? Or should I buy a decent $400 - $500 laptop, and simply upgrade some of the internals with my existing parts? If I should go that route, any recommendations on what laptop I could easily transfer the i5 to? Would I maybe want to get an i3 laptop?

And I'm ok with spending up to $500. And any level of difficulty doesn't bother me. I'm good at tinkering/building small machines. I've just never messed with laptop builds. But trust me, if you tell me it can be done, I can do it.

EDIT: After researching a bit more about the CPU, I found that the i5 6300HQ is soldered to the Mobo (The H should have gave that away). So it'd be hard to move that over to another laptop (if not virtually impossible). But my original questions still remain.

Thanks.

Solution
If you want to transfer any parts into a newer laptop then you are limited to the following two parts:

#1 - The 8GB stick of DDR3L RAM... assuming the new laptop does not use DDR4 RAM which is different.
#2 - The 256GB SSD... assuming the new laptop has a m.2 SSD slot for it.

There are no standard sizes for laptop motherboards. They are designed to fit into specific laptop models for each brand. I would bring your Dell Inspiron 15 7559 into a repair shop and ask them how much it would cost to move all of the internals into a new / refurbished Dell Inspiron 15 7500 series chassis.

If you want to transfer any parts into a newer laptop then you are limited to the following two parts:

#1 - The 8GB stick of DDR3L RAM... assuming the new laptop does not use DDR4 RAM which is different.
#2 - The 256GB SSD... assuming the new laptop has a m.2 SSD slot for it.

There are no standard sizes for laptop motherboards. They are designed to fit into specific laptop models for each brand. I would bring your Dell Inspiron 15 7559 into a repair shop and ask them how much it would cost to move all of the internals into a new / refurbished Dell Inspiron 15 7500 series chassis.

Solution

Samaratin

Estimable
Apr 1, 2015
ok, i just had another great idea.... Completely disconnect the screen portion from the keyboard portion. Next, take 2 slabs of ply wood and cut them to match the border of the screen and keyboard portion. next, take everything out of screen and keyboard and using a drill, screw or bolt these plastic things to your new wooden slabs... your next step is to put everything back into the screen and keyboard portions making sure to connect the video ribbon from bottom to top portion... last you're going to need some heavy duty hinges, you could go with kitchen cabinet hinges or some door hinges.. i would suggest the latter as they will be stronger and more heavy duty. You will end up with a very distinct looking laptop... You could even go garbage picking to find yourself some "reclaimed" wood, that will impress all the tree huggers at starbucks :D