Best laptop under 800?

newbie4evr

Prominent
Apr 18, 2017
Hello everyone, I wanted to ask your opinion on what Laptop I could get under 800.

I'm going to get a laptop as a present and have ~800 or less to spend. What would you guys suggest I could get that would maybe be the best bang for my $.

Thanks again for any answers.

Solution

I always thought the world was a horrible game... and it has finally glitched out. There is no way this is the best machine for the money... it can't be.

Do yourself a favor and take the hit in performance. Go for something with some build quality. The Dell G3, the Acer Nitro 5, or anything from a reputable brand... The Overpowered...

Zarniwoop81

Commendable
Dec 7, 2016
I never thought I would say this but Walmart's own brand laptop line, OVERPOWERED, has just about the best system you can find @ $800 right now if you're looking for a gaming machine. I can't speak to anything on these beyond the spec, but the spec is pretty much untouchable at that price before Christmas. All the other great deals were Black Friday deals.

I'll attach the link below.

Link

justin.m.beauvais

Prominent
Dec 15, 2017

I always thought the world was a horrible game... and it has finally glitched out. There is no way this is the best machine for the money... it can't be.

Do yourself a favor and take the hit in performance. Go for something with some build quality. The Dell G3, the Acer Nitro 5, or anything from a reputable brand... The Overpowered being the best for the money is just... unthinkable. My mind is not letting me accept this.

Solution

Zarniwoop81

Commendable
Dec 7, 2016

I agree on the craziness, but sadly you can't argue with the specs difference.

Either of the other 2 options you listed would be a step down to an i5-8300H and a drop in GPU as well, for under $800 you'd end up with a GTX1050Ti in the Acer and a GTX1050 in the Dell. Plus both come with 60Hz displays and 265GB SSDs without the HDD data storage option. The only complaints I've seen from actual owners and not the big tech reviewers is that it runs pretty hot and loud which is not at all surprising considering it's not a MAX-Q GPU in the system.

That being said, I would definitely wait to find a better manufactured computer if you have the time. But I'm assuming this is a Christmas present which does limit the amount of waiting you can do.

newbie4evr

Prominent
Apr 18, 2017

Yep it's supposed to be a present, I was told literally 5 minutes before my initial post to look for a laptop, if I had known much sooner then I would've bought something during the recent Black Friday. Jeez I wish I got told much sooner than this.

justin.m.beauvais

Prominent
Dec 15, 2017
In all honesty I'd be a lot more opposed to the idea of the Overpowered machine if it didn't have a 2 yr warranty. It is simply the best performing laptop that you can get for the money. Hopefully it is like a Kia from a few years ago, pretty much junk, but you don't have to worry about it breaking because it is covered under the 100,000 mile warranty. That is exactly what Wal Mart seems to be doing here. Just... buy a cooling pad to go with it.

justin.m.beauvais

Prominent
Dec 15, 2017

The Nitro 5 is a great little gaming laptop. It might not have the RAW POWER of that Overpowered thing, but the build quality is good, the keyboard is nice to type on, the screen is reasonable, and the 1050Ti should be good for most games. I can't say enough about Acer's gaming laptops, you get more than you pay for. I've got a Predator Helios 300, the big brother to the Nitro 5, and it shares a lot of similarities. I really like it.