Best music playing software for LARGE mp3 collections.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

4745454b

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006
Its time to find new software again. My wife and I have a VERY large music collection. (100GB+) We used to use Realjukebox, which stopped working well about 80GBs ago. After that we found Media Monkey which worked great. But we are finding that its dropping songs from its memory so the search doesn't really work anymore. For those of you who have large mp3 collections, what program similar to MM would you use? If none exist, what program would use you no matter what?

4745454b

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006
I'm sure there are plenty of others in this boat. I've got to get around to trying Foobar to see how it is. It seems to be the best one suggested so far.

Its been suggested many times, has Winamp finally come up in the world? What does the latest version look like? I've said it before, from when I used it I know it won't do what I want. If I hear things have changed that I can consider that as well.

4745454b

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006
So I finally got around to trying foobar. While there is much to like (I love the CLEAN interface) it has some deal breaking problems. The biggest of which is I'm unable to rate songs, and I can't sync something with my mp3 player. Looks like a good player, but if I cant' easily rate songs or send them to my player, its not going to work.

Heading back to MM now. Any other options? I'll go back over this list and see what else was mentioned.

JohnMur

Honorable
Sep 19, 2012
I use MAGIX MP3 Deluxe. The cool thing about this software, especially with large music collections, is that that it has functions that organise your music based on features within the music and display the results graphically. This can be great for making playlists and making connections between different genres, the only software I know that does this. It has lots of other great tools the help ID, listen to internet radio, etc. Highly recommended. http://www.magix.com/gb/music-software/

4745454b

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006
Interesting looking program but I'm not sure I want to buy it for 60pounds. Yes there is a free trial but if I like it...

So since I've made this post I've moved onto win7. Still using Media Monkey as well. I might try a new version of it as the problem continues. And I know I reimported all the songs as I had to when I loaded win7. I tried Foobar, didn't like it for reasons I don't remember. Maybe I will try winamp as I have nothing to lose.

Status
Not open for further replies.