Best OS For Laptop?

May 4, 2018
I have a toshiba satellite l305d-s5934 and I want to install a lightweight OS as Windows 10 is quite heavy on the cpu. The laptop heats up more than it should and destroys performance. Opinions appreciated :D

Solution
That laptop was released back in 2008. The overheating is likely due to thermal paste that has dried up. That basically means the paste could have basically solidified and now has air pockets in it. That acts like a heat insulator rather than a heat conductor. The best advice I can give is to take apart the laptop and clean out the old thermal paste and apply new thermal paste.

The following link has steps to show you how to take the laptop apart to that you can replace the thermal paste. However, taking apart a laptop can be quite daunting for some people especially if they are not particularly "electronics savvy" enough to do repairs.

http://www.irisvista.com/tech/laptops/Toshiba-Satellite-L355D/laptop-disassembly-1.htm

Linux is...

USAFRet

Illustrious

If Win 10 does not cut it, Linux. Any other recent Windows version will be no different.
Or, clean the dust out of it.

I have Win 10 running on a Tosh L305-S5955. It is slow, but it was slow when it was originally Windows 7.

That laptop was released back in 2008. The overheating is likely due to thermal paste that has dried up. That basically means the paste could have basically solidified and now has air pockets in it. That acts like a heat insulator rather than a heat conductor. The best advice I can give is to take apart the laptop and clean out the old thermal paste and apply new thermal paste.

The following link has steps to show you how to take the laptop apart to that you can replace the thermal paste. However, taking apart a laptop can be quite daunting for some people especially if they are not particularly "electronics savvy" enough to do repairs.

http://www.irisvista.com/tech/laptops/Toshiba-Satellite-L355D/laptop-disassembly-1.htm

Linux is probably what you want to install especially since it is free. There are some companies that sells different versions of Linux like RedHat, but what they are actually charging you is support service. If you have issues with RedHat Linux you call them and they will help you resolve the issue. I have been thinking about installing Linux on my old 2011 Lenovo IdeaPad Y470 laptop... just because... But I have not had the time to do so. I hve been looking at Linux Mint which is one of the more user friendly version of Linux to install and use. Since it is free you need to rely on the Linus Mint community to help with possible issues.

Solution
Cooling pads can be hit or miss depending on how the laptop has been designed. That includes where the vents are located and internal airflow. An it's effect is likely minimal to non-existent if the thermal paste has basically dried up.

For example, I have the DeepCool Laptop Cooling Pad (Multi Core X6) when playing games on my Dell Insipron 7559 laptop with an i5-6300HQ and GTX 960m it lowers the CPU temp by 5c. On the other hand using the same cooling pad with my Dell Latitude 3540 with an i5-4200u and Radeon HD 8850m GPU, there was no affect on the CPU's temp.

A decrease of 5c is basically almost the max you can expect from a cooling pad. But that also depends on the ambient temperature of the room it is in. Lower ambient temps does not always result in lower internal temps. For example during the winter I opened the window to allow the room temperature to drop to something like 40F or about 4.44c. Compared to gaming during the fall when ambient temp is basically about 60F or roughly 15.55c, there was no difference in internal temps.

https://www.amazon.com/DeepCool-Cooling-Multi-Core-X6/dp/B00B3RZ298/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1525748780&sr=8-1&keywords=deepcool+x6