Solved! Best Performance Budget Android Smartphone

TRIBUNAL

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2011
Hello,
I am currently using a Samsung J727 Perx. I use the phone for work, Uber+Lyft and YouTube. I have been having issues with those apps that I believe may be due to performance. I would like a new phone under $300, preferably under $200, if possible. I only care about performance, all social media will be removed before the phone is even used and I don't care at all about the camera which most reviews seem to focus on. I don't care about what operating system it uses unless that effects performance. I should mention I would only consider a phone that can be rooted. I will not consider an apple phone. My thoughts are that it should be a faster CPU than what I have now as well as more Ram than I have now (over 2gigs.) I am using boost mobile but likely switching to Sprint to eliminate that as part of the issue I am having, even though they use the same network, I have had strange issues with boost and getting my texts. I would consider switching to another network.
Thanks for any advice you can provide.

You don't care what operating system but not Apple, so you have realistically one pick, an Android phone. It's like saying I don't care if the car is black or blue, but I don't want black LOL

Motorola E5 is good for a lower spec device (not the Play version, that is a lower spec one).
https://www.tomsguide.com/us/best-unlocked-phones,review-2927.html

I got my son an Honor 8X phone and he is very happy with it.

Solution

TRIBUNAL

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2011
Thanks, yea I meant I don't care what version of Andriod, 7, 8, 9.
Yea I like the specs of the moto e5 plus, though I wish it had a processor newer than the 425 and galileo GPS, but the price is right and I hear the call volume in the motos are good.

TRIBUNAL

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2011
upon further review the moto g5 is slower than my j727p in that it has a slower older processor so that wont work for me, anyone have another suggestion, options seem limited :(

People never seem to mention this part, but it is an important component when considering a phone, so I have to ask, what network are you looking to run the phone on? A GSM one or a CDMA one? That will make a difference in what phones you can consider as well.

At least if in the USA.

TRIBUNAL

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2011
Very true, that's the wall I am hitting. I am currently on boost-mobile but I will be switching to Sprint which uses the same network (CDMA). I may consider verizon but I would prefer not to. Tmobile and AT&T have a bad reputation here, long island ny, so I would prefer to steer away from them(GSM).
Unfortunately the better options I have looked into seem to be GSM.
Basically I need this,
Under $300, new.
Processor better than the snapdragon 615, so 630 and up i guess.
Ram, I will not consider anything less than 3 gigs.

GPS is one of the issues I am having problems with, so I will take note of what systems it supports, the more the better.

I am seeing some open box S7 Edges under $300 on ebay. Also seeing some Samsung A6's under $300 on ebay.

Last edited:
Just be careful buying used ones. Never know what kind of state they are truly in or if they are actually what they say they are.

If you were staying on a GSM network I would say consider the Razer Phone 2. It is a little more than you wanted to spend though.