Best/Reasonable Home Cinema for PS3/4 gaming

Ransome

Honorable
Jul 24, 2012
Up until now I was using my good old 12 yr. + Stereo System of Pioneer, with their two badass speakrs. Yes it was old, but the thing was superb for music, videos and games. Those two will shake the room like a 5.1 and a huge sub.
The old Stereo System was plugged with the old RCA/AV component that comes with PS3 (and also came with PS2 I think). So it was easy and it worked like a charm.

However - new PS4 and XB1 don't have old analog support anymore. ONLY DIGITAL also known as Optical if I am not mistaken: this is evident by the PS4 sole audio entry called Optical/Digital.

Now here is the thing:
A) Which kind of system should I buy? there are the "simple" and "budget" ones - that are all in one box 5.1 + receivers. On the other hand, about twice as much in the price is the audiophiles choice: buy your speaker setting separately and your receiver separately for maximum performance.
*Here are two decent options for a "simple" system:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882117438
this model above is usually referred as the top of the entry level, or mid-level system. But it is infamous for its inferior Subwoofer -that does not have its own power adapter (only receives audio without power and amp). Therefore it is weak relatively.
**Option 2: I might be able to get it, maybe not:
http://www.pompa.co.il/Product.asp?Pid=YHT298&Cat2Cat1ID=149&Cat2ID=0&aff=Zap&lang=he
Sorry its in Hebrew (from an Israeli website)I can't really find it on newegg or the web...

Ok, now the more expansive option that was advised to me by some seller: again he might have tried to cheat me and sell me junk, but here it is:
Buy this baby: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/AV-Receivers/Pioneer+Receivers/VSX-523-K
With these speakers: Morel Primo - which I can't find any information about, I tried google, bing, newegg search... nothing came out:
http://www.cinemapro.co.il/morel-primo.html
Again pardon the Hebrew.

Anyway... I will appreciate your suggestions, model names, options, links - thank you!

B) Well after I do it, I need to figure out how to connect it to the PS4/3:
1. The way that I think is best: connect the PS3/4 HDMI port with an HDMI cable DIRECTLY into the HDMI port of the TV. Then, connect the PS3/4 Optical/Digital port with an Optic/Digital cable to the Opt/Dig port on the Receiver.

2. The option recommended to me by the seller - which I think is a bad idea: connect your PS3/4 HDMI into the receiver. (Don't connect anything in the Optic) - Then connect the receiver through the HDMI OUT with another HDMI cable - into the TV. So basically your HD video and audio are both on an HDMI cable, BUT the HD Video signal has to go through 2 cables and one bus stop to get to its TV destination. I believe this will result in loss of quality, fidelity, refresh rate, and maybe even cause a delay of image during fast gaming..

What do you guys think?
To put my two questions in one short sentence: Which Home Cinema system should I buy for Heavy Gaming/Blu-ray/Music, and what's the best way to connect it to a PS4 and a smart LED TV?

Solution
I would also suggest that anywhere you purchase the items from has a decent return policy, as what sounds good in the showroom, or others rave about on the internet, may not sound good in your room....acoustics are different for every room, and depending upon furniture, carpet, materials used for the walls/ceilings, etc., the sound will be different. Polk makes great subs - and their speakers are pretty good (there are always "better" if your credit card has no cap). Best Buy has "Magnolia" stores - find one in your area that has the latest and greatest equipment on display....bring your own music taste (3-4 of your favorite CD's), a couple of blu-rays that have your favorite sound effects and maybe a game or two. Make them work for...

ronintexas

Honorable
Dec 10, 2012
Most receivers, especially on the higher end, have "pass through" on the HDMI, which wouldn't have any delay and/or degradation of the quality of the video. If you are processing the signal (i.e. taking SD and upgrading to HD), there may be some delay - but most systems will have negligible delay (less than most of us can perceive).

That being said, option 1 or option 2 will basically work about the same.

In buying a system, I would personally suggest that you look at individual pieces for the equipment - as most "prepackaged" deals will leave you wanting in some areas.

Pioneer makes great amps like this one: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/630w-7-2-ch-network-ready-4k-ultra-hd-and-3d-pass-through-a-v-home-theater-receiver/8201044.p?id=1218865198070&skuId=8201044&st=categoryid$pcmcat241600050001&cp=3&lp=1

You might try the left/right speakers that you currently have with this - and purchase center channel, a sub woofer and surround speakers individually. Even going with all the same "brand name" of speaker doesn't always give you the best sound.

ronintexas

Honorable
Dec 10, 2012
I would also suggest that anywhere you purchase the items from has a decent return policy, as what sounds good in the showroom, or others rave about on the internet, may not sound good in your room....acoustics are different for every room, and depending upon furniture, carpet, materials used for the walls/ceilings, etc., the sound will be different. Polk makes great subs - and their speakers are pretty good (there are always "better" if your credit card has no cap). Best Buy has "Magnolia" stores - find one in your area that has the latest and greatest equipment on display....bring your own music taste (3-4 of your favorite CD's), a couple of blu-rays that have your favorite sound effects and maybe a game or two. Make them work for your buck....

Solution

Ransome

Honorable
Jul 24, 2012
OK thanks for the tip. Thing is, since I am going to keep my PS3, along side my PS4, plus the cable-company box (tv channels) all in the living room: perhaps the best option would be connecting both the PS3 and PS4 with an HDMI cable to the Amp, and connect the Amp to the TV with HDMI out.
Delay and lag / loss of quality for me is a big deal. Even a split second delay can be too much. Especially with the consoles' limited hardware capabilities.

Well what do you think about that model I posted?
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/AV-Receivers/Pioneer+Receivers/VSX-523-K
You think it will be good to transfer video as well? What about its audio capabilities and features? How does it fares vs. the Pioneer amp that you suggested?

and what about those Morel Primo speaker?
http://www.cinemapro.co.il/morel-primo.html

Anyway, I will check about the model you suggested. The issue is I don't believe I can find all models here in Israel, and I won't be able to start plugging Blu-rays and stuff, also there aren't many places you can listen in audio rooms, but I think found 2 shops with decent audio rooms and options.
I would have given you the website links but I am not sure google would be able to translate the page correctly..

Another issue is the price, which is x2-3 times more expansive in Israel: that Pioneer VSX-523-K - costs about 575 $ over here!!!
Those Morel Speakers... costs 687 $ !!!

Ransome

Honorable
Jul 24, 2012
Btw, I can't find anything about those Morel Primo speakers... What I did find are car audio speakers, and car subwoofers... I dunno - if that company is an expert for car speakers, maybe it isn't as good for home cinema.

ronintexas

Honorable
Dec 10, 2012
The amp you mentioned does not process video signals - it basically just passes it through. It does process the audio signal so you can get the full surround sound experience. Most good receivers are going to run about $300 - $600 (even higher if you want the elite models), and speakers, depending upon how many pieces will run anywhere from $300 - $1000. Sub woofers alone run about $300 for a good one....