Best Smart Light Switches of the Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 26, 2018
Good title but content could use some improvement. where is TP-Link, where is wemo light switch, Elgato Eve etc?

Nov 30, 2018
Great article. I'd like to add a bunch of smart switches during a remodel, but don't understand why the legacy form factor (toggle) is all but missing from product offerings today. Insteon makes one that's been very reliable for me. The 2466SW is a three position (momentary up and down from center for on and off), but it only works with Insteon. Haven't seen anything similar for Alexa, Siri, or Google.

Dec 12, 2018
Why do none of these have motion sensors?

Seems obvious. Clicking buttons on the wall seems so 1980s. Google home / Alexa voice controls + motion sensors = I should rarely have to go touch the wall like a cave man. :p

Jan 14, 2019
Found there is another consideration - Whether switch can be installed in a 2-, 3- or 4-gang box. I was going to replace only the Right-side switch with WiFi one in a 2-gang box, but cover plate (this was a KMC dual) not compatible with leaving a standard toggle on the left position, I would've had to change BOTH to WiFi.

Reactions: Cincinnerdi
Jan 19, 2019
PHILIPS HUE DIMMER is "best value"?? You can ONLY use it with Hue products. Sorts of defeats the purpose of a smart light switch.

I am checking out the Meross though (Thanks @dubinskd)

imconfsdru

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2011
Might want to consider Lutron Caseta will do up to 60 switches off of one Hub they arent super expensive, they look good offer Sonos controls for music playback etc... And are also voice controllable if setup properly... Also have dimmer switches and remote controllsfor 3 way switches etc...

Engar

Estimable
Feb 25, 2016
Are there any options yet to eliminate wall switches entirely? It seems like a tiny inline component wired at the fixture could be easily done by now. Saving all that extra wire, boxes, and components would seem to offset much of the cost. I suspect that offset would go a long way toward countering people's need for the security blanket of a manual switch they can touch.

Alaa_1

Honorable
Sep 3, 2015
That's great, but is there a 220v alternative for people outside the US? E.g. Europe / UK / Israel / etc.
If someone knows about a 22v alternative please let me know, I need this so much 🙏🙏🙏

Status
Not open for further replies.