Best Smartphones on the Market Now (Archive)

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

antonavy

Estimable
Jan 16, 2015
Not on this list, but I wouldn't trade my Moto X for any of these phones. Well, maybe I'd trade it, sell it, buy a new Moto X and pocket the extra cash, haha. I did quite a bit of research before buying it a few weeks ago. Had it narrowed down to a S5, Xperia Z1 Compact and the Moto X. I certainly made the right decision.

The first model Moto X wouldn't even be considered on this list because when it was released last year it was already behind on specs yet wasn't very cheap. Not sure how you think you could sell it, buy the new one for well over $400 and have money to leftover to pocket.

I bought mine for 300+. Maybe it didn't have the latest apu, but when it comes to comfort of use for me I didn't see any competition whatsoever. Sony z3 compact is the next best choice now :) I'm not sure many people utilize those octa-core processors.

TheLoneWolf989

Distinguished
May 10, 2013
The Sony M4 Aqua is the best bargain because it's cheaper than the Alcatel Idol 3, while having very similar specs and has the excellent feature of being waterproof.

Heathdean

Estimable
Jul 23, 2015
You know it's an Apple nut hugger when he creates a category that it is physically and logically impossible for anything other than an iPhone to win. Best IOS phone? Really?

kevin freels

Estimable
Feb 6, 2015
I'm a power user and have had nothing but trouble with Samsung Galaxy phones. The worst is the tendency to just randomly change settings. It's not accidental key presses. Things 5-6 layers deep will change themselves like converting the clock from 12 hour to 24 hour or turning off automatic time zone. Bluetooth in my car is hit and miss.
Phone" always connects but sometimes I have to reconnect to get the media audio to connect as well. And it's not just my car. even my Sharp boombox experiences this on occasion.
I thought I would give Samsung one last go-round and got a not 4. It's also a great phne but the same problems have popped up. I've done everything from clearing the bluetooth cache, the regular cache, and even a full restore just a week after I bought it. Charging is intermittent on known good charger/cable combinations, sometimes dropping to just 11%!
Bottom line is that it seems to me that Samsung is always in such a hurry to release the next best thing that they don't take the time to work out bugs. And we have to live with them for months or even a year before they get addressed. I think I'm done with Samsung. Gonna give that LG4 a try. I'm a photography buff so I have high hopes. :)

Willie0

Estimable
Apr 15, 2015
Samsung phones are really on the verge of being on the highest because of how it changes over the years. I believe that only iPhone and Samsung are the best competitor to be tanked on this poll.

Dr M7

Estimable
Nov 3, 2014
If you are going to compare phones by price, then you need to use only the unlocked version's price,

Phones sold for "discount" on the major carriers are not really discounted -- the full price is just buried in the carrier's user fees.

Also, a new BLU phone is due out at the end of September -- the BLU PURE XL (not to be confused with BLU's many phones with similar sounding names) It has better specs than the Samsung, Apple or LG flagship phones -- and only $350.

Status
Not open for further replies.