Best Smartphones on the Market Now

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ramachandran_3

Commendable
Aug 1, 2016
main function of a cell phone is for talking and messaging with loud and clear voice without distortion at any audio volume. you should give the best phone in this category
obviously those who need this type of phone may not high end phones. so your list of best phone should be moderately price.

Apr 8, 2018
I LOVED the iPhone SE except I could not add an app to record conversations with my grandchildren unless I bought ''coins" which was too much of a pain. So I gave up my SE and am back to the Galaxy phone. I just loved the smaller size and quality of iPhones but because of the recording issue decided I just couldn't justify staying with it. Wish it was different and Apple wasn't so selfish about allowing recording. Grandma Mary

Apr 23, 2018
iPhoneX is a Second place phone....Best screen....really....who are you kidding!!! bahahahahaha
If you want a "Real" review then take a look at SuperSaf TV review on you tube
. the stopwatch does not lie! And as for the screen and camera.....well the Samsung S9+ is all over the iPhone.
Nice try Toms!!!

spacemanjupiter

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
Sorry but my experience with the iPhone X is much different. I ended up returning it for an 8 Plus Red and have no regrets. I took photos with the X and Note 8 side by side of the same objects and lighting conditions and my Note 8 consistently produced noticeably better quality photos and sharpness. They had better contrast as well. The screen quality of my iPhone X completely omitted details in shadows and dark areas of videos on HDR videos, where as the details were present on my Note 8. One of the selling points of HDR is that it brings out the details in darker areas that otherwise would not be visible. This was not the case on my X. Nevermind the Note 8. Here are the things I noticed and learned about the X compared to the 8 Plus, which should be Apple's flagship product rather than the X.

8 Plus is < iPhone X and should be the flagship iPhone

Better battery life

Better game performance

Better RAM memory management

Bigger standard 16x9 content. 5.8” iPhone X screen is kind of a lie

Iphone X takes FOREVER to charge

Iphone X screen compared to my Note 8 consistently lost details in dark areas or shadow areas in videos

NOTCH intrudes on gameplay and other things

No home button

No Touch ID. Face ID failed a few times and forced me to use pin. Touch ID used to be flawless

Camera photo quality is noticeably worse than my Note 8

Things take longer to do such as closing apps

I could probably think of a couple more but I was sitting in line waiting to return my X at the time I jotted these down. I could elaborate on them.

Jun 23, 2018
Both iPhone X and Samsung Galaxy S9 are trully the best smartphones in the market. But I go for S9 because it's way cheaper than iPhone X.

Jul 19, 2018
Any review of Samsung phones is worthless if it doesn't mention:

(1) they've had problems with the power system for years without fixing them, now causing slow charging messages on their Note 8, and

(2) their warranty support does NOT include a loaner phone, so even when they admit the problem is theirs and they should supply support, they alert the customer that it will take 2+ weeks to get a new/fixed phone to them and all that time they must live without a phone. To say to someone that they cannot be reached at the phone number all their business and/or medical contacts have for them for weeks might as well be an admission THERE IS NO EFFECTIVE WARRANTY. I found this out when T-Mobile was also on the line, and they actually interrupted the Samsun person to say, "Although our customer's extended warranty doesn't technically go into effect for another month, I'm going to place him (me) into it now, & I can let him keep his phone until tomorrow I can replace it with a new one. I won't let him be screwed by Samsung." Unfortunately, the new phone had the same problem (see #1 above).

Bottom line: would you rank the Samsung as having the best phone if it didn't come with a warranty all? Add to that that the company doesn't fix long-standing problems, and I have to wonder if your reviews are worth reading.

Apr 16, 2018
Note 8, hands down over the iPhone 8+ & X, which I sold them both. Camera testing was not even close after 3 days shooting in Myanmar.

Aug 21, 2018
Two weeks ago I bought an LG V35 ThinQ from AT&T. After about 10 days the phone started dropping calls, applications started shutting down, Android Auto ceased to work and the finger print pad is, at best spotty. To my surprise, LG has not provided AT&T (at least not the direct AT&T store I used) with any cases or screen protectors. When I called to have my phone replaced LG responded by saying, "We do not have a product warranty." They continued with, "you can send the phone to us and in a few weeks we'll decide whether we can fix it, but we will not replace it." I should have known when they offered a $400.00 credit just to purchase the phone that it was a Lemon. Now I have to pay 30 months for a phone that is best served in the garbage.

LG will not accept my post, 5 browsers, not ad-blocker, no internet security and placed on a Whitelist...all denied. DO NOT BUY THIS PHONE!

Sep 14, 2018
Hi, Tom. Nice guide. I am not a big fan of over $1000 phones. Prices go crazy these days. Will you please make review under 200$ android phone ?