Best/Toughest Headest for around 100

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

StupidComputers

Estimable
Feb 15, 2014
I need tough. Fall asleep with them on often.
I loved my HyperX Clouds (Orig/1) even though the mic died long ago. Now an ear died so that's that. I was going to get another (2 year warranty is comforting) in the core model as I have the accessories already and my mobo audio does virtual 7.1 quite well (Asus SupremeFX 2014 on ROG Hero VII). Love those 53mm drivers and tough braided cord. However Kingston's production quality seems to be declining (Saw a mouse I bought for a few dollars rebranded by them selling for $60) so I'm hesitant, even though their warranty support was good the last time I checked - plus it's the only one (line) I've seen with more than a 1 year warranty. There is also the annoyance that the core costs more than I paid for the original Cloud set.
I would love other suggestions as other than the braided cord, I have no way to measure durability.
I'm sure people will say wireless, but at a $100 price point, the trade off in quality seems to steep. Oh ya.. I fear the lag for FPS.

StupidComputers

Estimable
Feb 15, 2014

I found a lower price for the cloud II by $5, but now I want the Cloud Alpha... but no lifetime warranty! lol..
Cloud II should sound the same is my original Clouds, Alpha's are dual chambered and supposed sound even better.

StupidComputers

Estimable
Feb 15, 2014

that's the one that turned me lol, and this one https://gameidealist.com/gift-guides/features-comparison-hyperx-cloud-alpha-pro-vs-hyperx-cloud-ii-gaming-headsets/
But I'm stickin with my erroneous lifetime warranty :)

I don't believe the alpha's have virtual 7.1 if that's a consideration

StupidComputers

Estimable
Feb 15, 2014
Got the cloud IIs. what a freakin nightmare, my awesome premium audio suite doesn't recognize the usb hyperx cloud ii's... so any and all of the 5.1/7.1 up or downmixing, fps spacial conversion, equalizers you + so much mpure.. name it, they all mean jack. It's either the cloud 2s or bust, unless i want to go into windows settings everytime and rework everything.. once upon a time there were these awesome hyperx clouds that just hit the market, you plugged them into the headphone and mic jacks and the sound would switch form speakers to headphones. I guess they don't make things like they used to.

side note, the original cloud box and accessories were a crap ton nicer then these. even the carrying bag which while kind of similar was far superior to what came with the more expensive IIs... I think that's it for the lifetime warranty and I'm getting the alphas.. but lifetime warranty.. on a headset that is idiotic. I got kingston to send me a cable to split the single cable coming out of the II's into an audio and mic like the originals, maybe that will help.. 30 days to return.. lifetime warranty (which will be a fight) or better headset... FML

StupidComputers

Estimable
Feb 15, 2014

Tested the 7.1 usb.. not impressed, well it's decent i guess, i have nothing to compare it to but my rog board sound, which is better. So if I hadn't already called to get a 4-pole female to audio and mic male adapter.. i would now lol. (could 1 had two plugs coming from headset, cloud 2 has just 1, a "4 pole" ) Kingston was nice enuff to send me one, luckily I have the original cloud cables otherwise it would be too short.

StupidComputers

Estimable
Feb 15, 2014

Hopefully it won't make much difference to me once I get the conversion cable from them cuz the old cables will give me length. Other people who might read this should be aware though. So unless the alphas pop up on bestbuy.ca with a lifetime warranty, i'm probably gonna keep them. :)

StupidComputers

Estimable
Feb 15, 2014
I got the splitter from Kingston recently and ya, it's much better that way. Less convenient as I have to get up to plug and unplug them vs just clicking the mouse a few times, but totally worth it for in-game positioning.