Best Astro a40 Setup to switch between a PS4 and an Xbox One

Atevoh

Commendable
Aug 19, 2016
Hello so here is my predicament. I am wanting to use ONE headset for both game/party voice chat, and surround sound game volume. I am currently limited to using two different headsets being one for chat and the other for surround sound. My current setup is the HyperX Clouds IIs hooked up to a Turtle Beach DSS2 which converts a single audio cable into an optical output that can plug into a Xbox, Ps4, or PC. The only problem is that the HyperX Cloud IIs has one cable for both chat and game volume. So i would either have to plug the cord directly into my controller (xbox), cancelling any surround sound capabilities, or having it plugged into the DSS2 (which i am doing right now) and having surround sound but not being able to chat to my friends. I hear the Astro a40s can do BOTH, but that the newer versions of the Astro a40s carry both audio and surround sound through a USB cable, and that there are two different versions a Ps4 and a Xbox One version. Aka no crossing over, which im not looking for (i want to be able to use the headset for both consoles and still get the same qualities i get on the other, i own both a PS4 and an Xbox). So im wondering maybe an older version, that perhaps plugs directly into a controller as well as having an optical cord to plug into the Xbox and/or PS4, but would that also trade off huge quality indents going to an older model? I really am lost on this. i just want one headset because im tired of having a headset around my neck. Thanks Guys
Oh also quick sidenote, i also want to be able to hear PC sound through that headset as well, i am more than okay with just using an Aux input/output

Solution
I'm in a similar situation. I've got both a PS4 and and Xbox One. Unfortunately, I couldn't find an answer to this so I ended up buying the mixamp for both systems. The issue is getting game chat. Now that I've got both, there is a solution to this (if you don't mind having a chat cable connected to your controller).

You can get in game sound from either system to either mixamp (the game audio routes through the optical cable). You can also chat using either mixamp as long as you've got a chat cable (specifically a cable that allows voice transfer). The only issue is that when connecting a dualshock to the xbox mixamp, you'll only get chat audio through the left earcup. If this doesn't bug you, great. It bothered me. There's no...

Atevoh

Commendable
Aug 19, 2016
MERGED QUESTION
Question from Atevoh : "Best Astro a40 Setup to switch between a PS4 and an Xbox One"

Hello so here is my predicament. I am wanting to use ONE headset for both game/party voice chat, and surround sound game volume. I am currently limited to using two different headsets being one for chat and the other for surround sound. My current setup is the HyperX Clouds IIs hooked up to a Turtle Beach DSS2 which converts a single audio cable into an optical output that can plug into a Xbox, Ps4, or PC. The only problem is that the HyperX Cloud IIs has one cable for both chat and game volume. So i would either have to plug the cord directly into my controller (xbox), cancelling any surround sound capabilities, or having it plugged into the DSS2 (which i am doing right now) and having surround sound but not being able to chat to my friends. I hear the Astro a40s can do BOTH, but that the newer versions of the Astro a40s carry both audio and surround sound through a USB cable, and that there are two different versions a Ps4 and a Xbox One version. Aka no crossing over, which im not looking for (i want to be able to use the headset for both consoles and still get the same qualities i get on the other, i own both a PS4 and an Xbox). So im wondering maybe an older version, that perhaps plugs directly into a controller as well as having an optical cord to plug into the Xbox and/or PS4, but would that also trade off huge quality indents going to an older model? I really am lost on this. i just want one headset because im tired of having a headset around my neck. Thanks Guys
Oh also quick sidenote, i also want to be able to hear PC sound through that headset as well, i am more than okay with just using an Aux input/output

toscani

Prominent
Nov 27, 2017
I'm in a similar situation. I've got both a PS4 and and Xbox One. Unfortunately, I couldn't find an answer to this so I ended up buying the mixamp for both systems. The issue is getting game chat. Now that I've got both, there is a solution to this (if you don't mind having a chat cable connected to your controller).

You can get in game sound from either system to either mixamp (the game audio routes through the optical cable). You can also chat using either mixamp as long as you've got a chat cable (specifically a cable that allows voice transfer). The only issue is that when connecting a dualshock to the xbox mixamp, you'll only get chat audio through the left earcup. If this doesn't bug you, great. It bothered me. There's no workaround. You can have the ps4 run all audio through the controller, but then why use a mixamp at all? Anyway, solution is to just buy the PS4 mixamp. You can run game audio from both systems to the mixamp. You'll get chat audio through the PS4 via the usb cable. Now just connect the chat cable from the Xbox controller to the aux input on the mixamp and you'll get xbox chat audio. You'll need to fiddle with the settings on the xbox to make sure the only audio going through the controller is chat.

I guess i didn't mention this, but I have an extra optical cable to run from the xbox to the mixamp. Then all I do is plug in whichever system I'm playing on into the mixamp for audio. So 2 optical cables.

This probably rambles quite a bit, but get a PS4 mixamp, an extra optical cable (to whichever length you need) and a specific 3.5" to 3.5" male cable (that specifically allows voice). I got both extra cables through Amazon. I hope this helps somebody in the future!

Solution
Jan 6, 2019
The easiest solution is buying the ASTRO TR A40s headset. Then buy a Mix Amp Pro TR for both Xbox one and Playstation 4 and you'll be able to chat with surround sound and have all kinds of features. The mix amps are specially made for each system but the headphones work on both. I just bought pair with the mic Amp for xbox one x and it's sick bro. Unbelievable sound and clarity