Question Best way to connect a Sony BRAVIA X900F to JBL SCS136 surround sound system

Jul 5, 2022
I am hoping someone can help me figure out the best way to connect a Sony BRAVIA X900F to JBL SCS136 surround sound system.

I won a JBL SCS136 surround sound system around 20 years ago and put it sealed on a shelf in the basement. As I didn't have a proper entertainment room at the time, I forgot about it. Now I am trying to connect it to a much newer Sony BRAVIA X900F TV.

The TV only seems to have optical audio output, and the JBL system only has RCA inputs and a LFE input.

1) Is there a way to find an adapter that goes from digital audio to RCA + LFE?

2) Do I need to buy an AV receiver to connect everything?

3) Is this even worth doing?

If anyone has suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you!

Yes they make break-out boxes to convert optical out to separate analog wires, Amazon, eBay, many places sell them.
Yes you need a receiver for the speakers to power them and for the inputs. The speakers are not really a "surround sound system" it's only the speakers, to make the thing a system you need an amplifier and some sort of pre-amp/processor for the signal.

Jul 5, 2022
Yes they make break-out boxes to convert optical out to separate analog wires, Amazon, eBay, many places sell them.
Yes you need a receiver for the speakers to power them and for the inputs. The speakers are not really a "surround sound system" it's only the speakers, to make the thing a system you need an amplifier and some sort of pre-amp/processor for the signal.

Thank you for letting me know. When I won it, it was described as a Surround Sound System and I just opened it now. I thought the pre-amp was in the large LFE speaker, as it has RCA+LFE input jacks on the back, as well as the main power switch.

Cheers!

Thank you for letting me know. When I won it, it was described as a Surround Sound System and I just opened it now. I thought the pre-amp was in the large LFE speaker, as it has RCA+LFE input jacks on the back, as well as the main power switch.

Cheers!

Since the speakers need a receiver, you should not need any adapters for the audio, a modern receiver will have HDMI and optical connections to use. The inputs for the sub are for the sub audio only, it does not power or send audio to the rest of the speakers.

Jul 5, 2022
Since the speakers need a receiver, you should not need any adapters for the audio, a modern receiver will have HDMI and optical connections to use. The inputs for the sub are for the sub audio only, it does not power or send audio to the rest of the speakers.

Thank you again!

If you don't mind two more questions -

1) All of the receivers that I have been looking at don't seem to have an LFE output. These speakers have two SW inputs and one LFE input, the receivers all seem to have only the two SW outputs. What can I do with the LFE input?

2) This set of speakers also has a rear right, rear centre, and rear left speaker, but all of the receivers that I see only have the rear right and rear left outputs. Can you daisy chain the left and right together into the centre speaker to combine both signals? That would basically create the centre feed fairly correctly.

Cheers!!

Thank you again!

If you don't mind two more questions -

1) All of the receivers that I have been looking at don't seem to have an LFE output. These speakers have two SW inputs and one LFE input, the receivers all seem to have only the two SW outputs. What can I do with the LFE input?

2) This set of speakers also has a rear right, rear centre, and rear left speaker, but all of the receivers that I see only have the rear right and rear left outputs. Can you daisy chain the left and right together into the centre speaker to combine both signals? That would basically create the centre feed fairly correctly.

Cheers!!

https://geekmusician.com/sub-out-vs-lfe/ The manual to the speakers and the receiver all would have directions on how to connect things.

5.1 receivers all should have a center channel speaker output. Look at this Yamaha, Sub Pre out, L/R rear, Center and Front L/R

81u5jW0hF3L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Jul 5, 2022
Thanks.

I think I am explaining thing wrong. I have front right, front centre, front left, rear right, rear centre, rear left speakers, and a subwoofer. I thought the centre outputs were for the front centre, not the back centre.

The manual to the speakers state that there should be 6 speaker outputs and a subwooker, or LFE, output. The problem I am having is finding a receiver with the same outputs. Unless, I am completely wrong, the picture that you posted only shows five speaker outputs, and a subwoofer out.

What am I getting wrong?