Best Way To Protect Laptop Battery While Gaming?

Davidt08

Honorable
Jan 2, 2014
The battery is a lithium ion type with 4 cells and the capacity is 2600 mAh. This battery is used with my laptop and I was wondering whether or not i should leave the battery in the laptop while it is plugged into the wall while I'm gaming. The battery is fully charged every time i game while it is connected to the wall.

I'm wondering this because I can't play any games without connecting the charger to the wall since I lose a lot of FPS if I game on only battery. So it needs to be connected to the wall, now however, I'm wondering if I should remove the battery from the laptop while gaming (if it's necessary) to preserve it's life longer if it even affects it since it is fully charged anyways.

I know I can set the power options so that it makes the computer run at full speed unplugged, but this can’t be good for the battery life especially if I game and it drains the battery quickly. Does the battery stop charging once it’s fully charged? Is there an option on my laptop where I can choose to run on wire rather than battery? Is it OK to leave my battery in my laptop while connected to the wall when gaming? My goal is to protect the battery as much as possible while still being able to game on my laptop.

Thanks in advance

Solution
It is recommended that you unplug your charger when the battery is full as it will reduce the life cycle of the battery. I would therefore remove the battery if you want to continue using your laptop with the charger plugged in while you play games and then use the battery only without the the charger plugged in, unless of course you are charging the battery whilst using you laptop, which is perfectly OK

mibix19

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
It is recommended that you unplug your charger when the battery is full as it will reduce the life cycle of the battery. I would therefore remove the battery if you want to continue using your laptop with the charger plugged in while you play games and then use the battery only without the the charger plugged in, unless of course you are charging the battery whilst using you laptop, which is perfectly OK

Solution

Davidt08

Honorable
Jan 2, 2014

Thanks for the reply. This might be an idiotic question but if I only use the charger and unplug the battery, will the laptop be using less energy/electricity? The battery and charger isn't providing dual energy to the laptop or anything when they're both plugged in, right?

mibix19

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
you will only use more electricity while the battery is charging, ( minimal amount more) When the battery is full you use the same amount of power from the charger whether the battery is connected or not. ( No power goes to the battery once charged up.) When using the charger the battery disconnects so only the charger is used to operate the laptop ( power will still go to the battery until charged and again will disconnect when full)

Davidt08

Honorable
Jan 2, 2014

Thanks for the reply again. If the battery disconnects once it is full, then wouldn't it be OK to just leave it connected to the laptop? Like if it disconnects, than isn't there no difference from me disconnecting it physically since it disconnects it's self? (disconnects itself meaning, no power going into battery and no power going out, right?)

mibix19

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
Yes you are right.I did not explain it properly. Check this out, It might explain it better than I can. http://blogs.which.co.uk/technology/laptops-2/top-5-laptop-battery-myths-which-did-you-believe/

TRENDING THREADS