Best Wi-Fi Routers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 19, 2018
I am not sure at all what to buy for a 3,800 sqft really old home with plaster in the walls. We will be renting three guest rooms that will all need access to good wifi and a separate password. I need very fast (preferably wired) and reliable internet for work that doesn't slow down when guests use the internet. I would really appreciate a recommendation with approx. pricing. However, a good system is a higher priority to price.

avtella

Great
Feb 21, 2018
The Qualcomm CPU/WiFi chipset based Netgear R7800 has the best 5Ghz range/performance of any consumer router I have tested (am a beta tester) and a pretty good 2.4Ghz performance as well. Better than any on that list to be honest. If you want in depth reviews look at small netbuilder and CNET has some simpler reviews too but the R7800 in pretty much most sites, tops other routers in 5GHz performance and range. VPN performance is also better than the Linksys units as it has more powerful/newer gen CPU. Also its the only one with a properly working MU-MIMO implementation. The R7800 actually is more powerful CPU and WiFi chipset wise than the R8500, only advantage the R8500 has is the extra 5Ghz band which I don't think will help you that much and will definitely not increase range by any means. The Synology RT2600AC also uses the same hardware as the R7800 and is also a good alternative.

Broadcom based routers from Netgear/Linksys (Marvell based units as well)/Asus can cause performance degradation with MU enabled, as Broadcom's implementation sucks. The Asus 86U is also close to the R7800 WiFi wise but its Broadcom based, though using an improved WIFi chip compared to older Broadcom units. FYI compared to the 88U (similar to R8500) the 86U is actually more powerful and using newer gen hardware, only reason the 88U is higher priced is due to extra lan ports.

robo21

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2012
I would avoid Netgear like the plague, I have had the worst support experiences with them. 90 days tech support, lousy warranty and their technical support staff lies trying to sell extended support packages. They actually told me that I needed to upgrade my Internet Service File for $99.95. What a crock!

May 3, 2018
I want to buy a new wifi router that has the functionality to allow geographically distant family to download selected photos and videos from a USB-attached external hard drive. It would be convenient for me to know which wifi routers have US-based tech support. ASUS does not have, at least not at level 1, native English speakers, and the ones I spoke with had poor English skills.

May 15, 2018
I have a backhouse that is about 75 feet away from the main house. We will be connecting a desktop (in the backhouse) , a laptop and a phone line (although none will probably be used at the same time. Which router would you recommend. Thanks!!

Sep 25, 2018
ATT is installing the BGW 210-700 Modem/Router as their latest unit.
Questions:
1 - ATT sells the AirTies 4920 as a match to establish a whole house mesh network. Any experience?
2 - What is the average range of the BGW?
3 - Why should I buy another router and bridge the BGW for $XXX AND added complexity?

Status
Not open for further replies.