Best Wireless Screen-Mirroring Devices 2014

alexofindy

Commendable
Dec 15, 2016
You praise Chromecast for screen mirroring, but don't mention its major limitation: both the client and the receiver need to be connected to the same wifi network. This is usually easy enough at home, but can be difficult in an office, friend's home, or hotel. In these situations Miracast is the way to go for screen mirroring, since it uses wifi direct and doesn't require connecting to a wifi network. For example, most hotel rooms have TV's with free HDMI ports. With a Microsoft display adapter, or other device such as some Roku's and Amazon fire sticks which support Miracast, you plug the dongle in to the TV, and wirelessly connect your cell phone using Miracast. You can then cast anything on the cell phone's screen, as well as the audio, to the TV. Can't do this with chromecast.

Most recent vintage Android cell phones, except for Googles's, support Miracast. It's on the settings menu, under display. Miracast is disabled on Google branded phones for mysterious reasons, but can be turned of if you're willing to root the phone.

Reactions: Steve819
G

I don't understand where this statement is coming from:

"Generally speaking, streaming works better than screen-mirroring, as it doesn't require an elaborate daisy chain of devices."

In the context of this article, both require the same "elaborate" setup--which is a single dongle connected to the TV. And mirroring, in my experience, works better than streaming as it doesn't require an internet connection play media--you can play media files on your phone directly on the TV.

menco1

Estimable
May 18, 2014
I have not yet found any screen casting "experts" explaining exactly how to cast Netflix from an Android phone to a TV using only Miracast and only mobile data. Netflix recently disabled my ability to do this, frustrating my cord-cutting ambitions. I tried Chromecast, Netgear PC2TV, the Microsoft device and something Chinese called EZcast. My phone does not support MHL so cables won't work either

mikulssj

Prominent
Aug 17, 2017
Is there a mirroring device does not require internet connection to work??? Advertisers & manufactures do not make this requirement easily to understand prior to purchasing.

mamasita

Prominent
Aug 22, 2017
I decided to use an app to stream files from my mac to tv. I've been choosing for a long time and finally stopped on ArkMS. So I got rid of different pointless and expensive adapters and HDMI cables, this app is easy to use, maintain, and configure. You can stream whatever you want - music, videos, photos, etc. Recommend. 5/5

menco1

Estimable
May 18, 2014
NOT Netflix. Or Prime Video. And those are the Big Two.

menco1

Estimable
May 18, 2014
If you want to cast Netflix or Prime via Miracast you're totally out of luck. They and your carrier are deliberately thwarting your dreams. And most carrier phones have disabled MHK, just in case you thought you might use a cable. Screen mirroring is a myth for streaming video from the Big Two (Amazon/Netflix).

allmye

Prominent
Nov 27, 2017
Not exactly menco1 .
With AirMyPC software you can mirror Netflix or Prime to Apple TV or ChromeCast from Windows computer.
Both Computer and AppleTV/ChromeCast should be in the same home network.

joeigoe

Prominent
Nov 27, 2017
I need to rid myself of Direct TV at my second home. Can't I view content from my primary home's cable to my second home? What's the simplest way to accomplish that? thanks

parsonagekatie

Prominent
Dec 18, 2017
Hi can anyone tell me if miracast dongle works off phone data alone or do you need WiFi installed in the house I've been told different things by different companies

jsflyingmonkey794

Prominent
Jan 2, 2018
I have an issue that I need to see if anyone has a work around on it. I have a Screen Beam 2 and would work with my LG tablet with out any issues. Now I have a new tablet as of December 2017 and I can not get HULU or ABC to work when I cast it to the television. When you go and download it from Google Play it states these are not optimized for your device. I checked it out on my phone did not see the same message. Just checked the LG tablet and states that it might not be optimized for that device. When I try casting the image I get sound but no image at all. Anyone have a way to correct this or am I out of luck?

Hammy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Wait, so for each platform, their own proprietary solution works best? Tom's used to have great articles. This is crap.

There are dozens of casting devices out there and none of them were covered.