Better speakers is not always better?

wil11o6

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Hello all,

I just bought new speakers, Energy CB-5s, to replace my old JBLs that are about 10 years old now. It is connected to my budget receiver, Yamaha HTR-5930, which is connected to my computer's sound card, HT Omega Claro+ via digital. The sound quality of these new speakers sound better than my JBLs, however, I am hearing a lot of static noise that goes along with the music I am listening to. I am thinking it may be the audio files, they are not of high definition quality, because some has a little more static than others. Am I hearing the static because the speakers are able to produce all the sound from the audio file? so I'm hearing all the impurities.

Should I be looking at a new receiver, or new speaker wires (I am using 16g radio shack speaker wires).

G

Before you condemn the receiver (or even the speaker wires) try connecting a regular CD player to the receiver and listen to some decent quality albums.

Computer audio and MP3 files are likely to be inferior to a good CD. Though I own a number of MP3 players I gladly spend weekends at flea markets going through the CD albums that iPod users are practically giving away.

eloplayspolo

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009
Before you condemn the receiver (or even the speaker wires) try connecting a regular CD player to the receiver and listen to some decent quality albums.

Computer audio and MP3 files are likely to be inferior to a good CD. Though I own a number of MP3 players I gladly spend weekends at flea markets going through the CD albums that iPod users are practically giving away.

he is exactly right, dont listen to anything other than a CD when testing audio equipment.

Also, your speaker wires are OKAY, but i would definatly recommend an upgrade. No reason to have those kind of speakers and kill yourself between them.
the Yamaha HTR-5930 is a decent receiver for the money, or it was. I dont mean to bash your gear, not my intention.
Depending on how high of a listening level you are playing these at your sound quality will become lower.

In short, i would say you made a great buy with those speakers. Put some CDs in and listen away and see if it corrects the issue. You could then try to get some good quality speaker cable and see if it makes a diff (it should), if its worth it to you buy some more.
If its the receiver thats creating the noise problem, dont feel too bad, Just another reason to get some new gear :)

This is the best place around to get cables.

http://www.knukonceptz.com/home-theater-speaker-cable.cfm

wil11o6

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Thanks for the input guys,

I guess it is just the quality of the audio files. I ordered the CC-5 center to go with these speakers, and I am happy with them.

Though, when I bought the CB-5s, I didn't break them in so I hope I didn't damage anything. I didn't put it at 100% volume, though I was playing it at around 50-75%, for the first couple minutes. If I damaged them in anyway, I'm sure I could hear it right?