Beyerdynamic MMX 360 vs Sennheiser PC 363D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution
first of all what kind of sound signature do you want ?

the headsets you listed are very bass light and the highs are almost to the point of being shrill. they are however very clear and precise sounding. if you dont care about bass then they might be a good choice.

however, with that said you could just buy the sennheiser hd598 ($190) which has a very wide soundstage and also very good mids and uppers but it again lacks bass combined with a modmic ($50) which also has good quality for a grand total of $240 which would save you $50 but still have good sound.

your choice.

if it must be between those two though i'd probably go with the beyers. the original dt770 (non pro) is quite excellent and beyers are known to be comfortable. the...

Ravi Gagan

Honorable
Feb 6, 2014
Beyerdynamic MMX 300

Pros:

- Overall: Best sounding gaming headset you can buy. I essentially bought these because I didn't want to have to change headsets when I wanted to game, watch a movie, or listen to music on my home computer. I wanted something that would serve all of those purposes. What I didn't need: something small, something easy to travel with, and something with a detachable mic. I couldn't have asked for a better sounding headset (shouldn't even really call it a gaming headset as it doesn't sound like one).
- For gamers: I am a big COD/Battlefield fan, and these headsets are so amazing it is hard to put it into words. In COD:Black Ops, I can hear the direction of any enemy making noise. For example, if someone tries to creep up on me from behind, I can hear not only that they are behind me, but I can hear whether the footsteps are coming from directly behind me, slightly to the left, or slightly to the right. It is so good, that I have had people accuse me of hacking just because they can't hear it as well on their headsets even when cranked up.
- Also for gamers: You will be able to hear the quality (or lack thereof) in every game you play. The cheap sounding effects will sound cheap while the great sounds will sound fantastic! This is truly a plus because some games have such great sound-work that it is a shame to miss it with other headsets.
- For music lovers: While being audiophile quality, these headphones are also a little forgiving. That is a good thing for me because I am running these from my computer. I sometimes listen to music from pandora for example, and I can still enjoy it. It doesn't sound GREAT, but it is still enjoyable. I have had headphones that I couldn't use with anything other than top quality music. That being said, great recording do sound better...it is just nice to still enjoy casual listening from other sources as well.
- For movie lovers: These headphones sound great, but what you want in a movie is great bass. These have a moderate amount of bass. I think they sound good, but there are other headphones with better bass. I would rate these average in that aspect...not poor, but average. Maybe a high average depending on what they are compared against.
- The USB DAC that comes with the headset isn't a top-of-the-line DAC, but it is pretty darn good. Considering that fact that anything better would cost close to the same amount as the headset, I have NO complaints with it. Plug and play and enjoy.
- For anyone that uses the mic (gamers): The sound is crystal clear. The mic is even higher quality that the headphones. I haven't used a better headset for talking to friend on vent/teamspeak. For the price, I expected this!
- The cables are high quality and the microphonics are amazingly low. For those that don't know: microphonics refers to the sound you hear when a headphone cable bumps up against anything (clothing, the desk, your arm, etc). High quality cables help avoid this. I have headsets (expensive headsets) that will make a sound if they just touch your clothing. They also resist tangling and are easy to untangle which is a bid deal for me.
- Last pro summed up in one word: COMFORTABLE!!!!! For hours and hours.

Cons:

- If you want to crank these, you will need some sort of headphone amp. I do mean CRANK because you can listen to these at enjoyable levels with music, movies, and games. However, if you are in the mood to crank it up to 11, get out a headphone amp. These babies can use the extra power. To be honest, you can even just run the sound out of your computer form an SPDIF cable into a receiver and use a receiver to supply the power. There are many options, but my computer will not completely power these....with or without the included DAC.
- You can move the mic out of the way, but if you want a headset for traveling, THIS IS NOT THE HEADSET FOR YOU. You will look stupid walking around with a big mic. If you want a headset for using at a desktop, you can't do better.

Sennheiser PC 363D

PROS:

Construction--this headset seems to be sturdy and well-constructed. My favorite headsets have the cord well protected in a kind of woven material, and these have that. One headset I once had broke where the cord connected to the headset, a problem I wouldn't expect to have with this headset because all the connectors seem well protected. This headset therefore gets top grades for construction.

Comfort--this is without a doubt the most comfortable headset I've ever owned. I thought that the Plantronics one was relatively comfortable, but now after trying these, I realize that the velvet covering the padding on the earphones of the Plantronics headset is rough in comparison. I could probably wear these all day, although they do make my ears a bit warm. (That's to be expected. The best sound requires a closed space, and closed spaces don't release heat.)

Sound Quality--I had my husband test these for sound quality, since he's the expert. He said, "I could do an audio mix on these." When I asked what that means, he said it produces the full range with perfect clarity. To be sure, we both listened to Disney Pixar's Brave on DVD, which probably has the highest level of sound production of any movie available on DVD to date, and found the audio quality as good on this headset as the top-of-the-line professional headphones my husband uses for work. It really does produce 7.1 surround sound. Voices, music, and sound effects feel like they're coming from every direction. Honestly, the sound in a movie theater pales by comparison, these are that good. The only area where the professional headphones had an advantage was in their ability to muffle outside noise. I actually prefer these in that respect, because I feel like I can hear my own pulse in my ears with the professional headphones. It's also helpful to be able to hear the world around you, which you can when the media being played isn't too loud.

Microphone Quality--I am dictating this review using Dragon NaturallySpeaking Premium, Version 12, and it is making almost no mistakes whatsoever. I have never had another headset that worked as well with Dragon as this particular headset, so I know the microphone quality is extremely high.

Cons
ugly design

Source- Amazon

the beyerdynamic mmx300 is based on the older dt770 design (now replaced with the dt770pro which has a different sound signature)

the sennheiser pc363d is based on the hd555/hd595.

both are rather bass light and have rather clear and high pitched highs. both are also overpriced by quite a good margin.

please read my more in depth response on the issue to this other guys pc363 vs mmx300 thread http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2152152/sennheiser-363d-beyerdynamic-mmx-300-gaming.html#13351663

i would highly suggest going with a good pair of studio headphones and getting a modmic which attaches to the side instead to save yourself quite a bit of money.

caxino18

Honorable
Sep 23, 2013

I understand that they're both super expensive, with the MMX 300 being $459.99, but at the present moment they're on sale for $289.99. At this price point wouldn't it be more economical to just buy this as opposed to studio headphones with a mod mic?

ksham

Honorable
Mar 29, 2013

First of all, they are both headphones, not headsets. And second, what criteria determines which is "better"?

caxino18

Honorable
Sep 23, 2013

Actually they're headsets, they both have mics. And by better I mean sound quality.

first of all what kind of sound signature do you want ?

the headsets you listed are very bass light and the highs are almost to the point of being shrill. they are however very clear and precise sounding. if you dont care about bass then they might be a good choice.

however, with that said you could just buy the sennheiser hd598 ($190) which has a very wide soundstage and also very good mids and uppers but it again lacks bass combined with a modmic ($50) which also has good quality for a grand total of $240 which would save you $50 but still have good sound.

your choice.

if it must be between those two though i'd probably go with the beyers. the original dt770 (non pro) is quite excellent and beyers are known to be comfortable. the mmx is built on the same frame as them.

Solution

caxino18

Honorable
Sep 23, 2013

Alright, thanks for your help, I just got the Beyers, would I be able to get a heavier bass through a mixamp and an equalizer?

nope. they will always be bass light.

you could improve them a little bit perhaps but you cannot change the hardware sound signature of the headphones.

as long as you arent into any heavy bass they should be fine though. just as the hd598 are typically fine for everyone but a basshead or people listening to heavy bass songs.

caxino18

Honorable
Sep 23, 2013

Ok, thanks for insight, you were very helpful!

XtremeAero426

Honorable
Jan 4, 2014

I currently have a PC360 and I was wondering which one would be better in terms of just gaming? More specifically FPS games but it should still be decent for other games as well.

RazerZ

Honorable
Herald
Aug 18, 2013

I would make a new thread instead of reviving an old one.

Status
Not open for further replies.