Bill Proposes Phones Must Take Noisy Pictures

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]Tindytim[/nom]I agree that most drugs should be legal. But you look at something like meth, something that completely f***s someone up, to the point where they are willing to do just about anything to get another hit. That seems let a general loss to everyone.[/citation]

Ok, so here we get to the point that if somebody wants to do something to themselves and it is very likely to affect society negatively, should we outlaw it? Drunk driving, meth, heroin, and crack use could all possibly fall under that: injuries to others / paying for their hospital bills (in first world countries with public healthcare) / addicts robbing people to pay for drugs. Wearing a seatbelt could fall under that category too, since the public would have to pay for your medical care.

This is when the lawmakers try to draw a line when something causes more harm than its worth to allow individuals the freedom to do said activity. So what about driving a car? There are an enormous number of deaths every year from car accidents and even more debilitating injuries. Maybe the government should make cars illegal and force everyone to use public transit.

All I'm saying is that the government is much to fast at relinquishing personal freedoms and excruciatingly slow to give them back. Authority hordes power. I wish that people were more often allowed to make their own choices. Also, I'm not even going to get into the fact that making a substance illegal often has either no effect on the usage of that substance or in fact increases its use.

Aionism

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]astrotrain1000[/nom]I feel the same way about seat belts. If someone over the age of 18 doesn't want to wear a seat belt they shouldn't have to. Those stupid enough not to wear one will be eliminated through natural selection.[/citation]
Maybe if they're the only one in the car. I wouldn't want to sit in front of or next to some idiot that thinks he/she is too tough to wear a seatbelt. Just imagine how fun it would be to have some 100-200 pound or more person rolling around inside the car or slamming into the back of your seat if you crash.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]gm0n3y[/nom]Ok, so here we get to the point that if somebody wants to do something to themselves and it is very likely to affect society negatively, should we outlaw it? Drunk driving, meth, heroin, and crack use could all possibly fall under that: injuries to others / paying for their hospital bills (in first world countries with public healthcare) / addicts robbing people to pay for drugs.[/citation]
I used to live in Nebraska, and we had a few problems with Meth, I knew a guy that went to prison for a few years for it.

The fact is, I've never met, or heard of, a single person that used meth without harming other badly harming other people. I've been acquainted with people that worked 9-5 jobs while using heroin recreationally.

But perhaps regulation would be a better solution than flat out making it illegal. Once you make something illegal, you do put it into the hands of people who are going to be irresponsible with it.

Kary

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2008
[citation][nom]aevm[/nom]Is that a real product? Where can I buy it?[/citation]
Please don't encourage this...next we will all have to time our photos to our gas emissions in order to protect blind children from perverts.

Kary

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2008
[citation][nom]Anon12456[/nom]Wouldn't it be easier to just outlaw skirts, and make changing area's more private.... you know, without the 'half door & walls'...[/citation]
Thank you! Also, if you think your child is having immoral pictures of him/her taken in public... YOU SHOULD REALLY START DRESSING YOUR CHILD BEFORE LETTING THEM OUTSIDE!!

If ignorance of the law isn't an excuse, then why is just plain ignorance?

Kary

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2008
[citation][nom]gm0n3y[/nom]I get why drinking and driving is illegal: you can hurt other people. Notice that alcohol isn't illegal, because using alcohol only really hurts you. Other drugs should be the same. So using heroin and driving should also be illegal, but heroin in itself should be legal. Protecting someone from their self, unless mental incompetency can be shown, is just stupid.[/citation]
I'm thinking it's not to hard to show that someone who is strung out on heroin is mentally incompetent.

lopopo

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Why does our society continue to displace the responsibilities of parents onto technology and other people? Technology cant rear your kids for you and I should not be made to suffer a crappy camera phone. I'm so sick of all these morality bills from ass clown politicians trying to get re- elected. This guy is probably getting blown buy ten 3 rd world kids and taking pictures of it as we speak.

and why the hell would i wanna buy a cell phone with a camera if it takes shitty pics.

aevm

Distinguished
May 18, 2007
I think you've been misled by the article's title. It's not about enforcing noisy pictures as in low quality pictures. It's about making a noise (i.e. a sound) when the picture is taken. You can make high-quality pictures with no graphic noise, but you have to make a sound so that the people in the picture know what you're doing.

G

yeah,video camera's could potentially be more dangerous.
Besides, many camera's only have a small speaker hole that can easily be covered by a finger, dimming to completely nullifying the sound.

Another example of "the land of the free" where every right is taken from you to have what you want.
Taken from the bad, and the good.

They should rather make a law to prevent perverts to enter dressing rooms,and make a law to make dressing rooms in clothing stores more decent!
Often it's just a curtain or a small door 2-3 feet off the floor; and that does attract perverts.

Freedom only works for good guys, who won't abuse their freedom rights.
Does this perhaps say where we are headed to as a nation?

ewart

Distinguished
May 22, 2006
Another ambulance bay at the bottom of the cliff. What a unbelievably stupid waste of time compared to the many other priorities they could be spending time on. What are they going to do for video, play one continuous long (and annoying) sound while recording? And if video doesn't make a noise then there really isn't a point is there as someone can record everything and extract frame-by-frame images..

Status
Not open for further replies.