Bill to Tax Violent Video Games Introduced in Oklahoma

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

draphius

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2011
i dont give a flying buck what he thinks, show me some proof. also these people usually have no life thats why they have to intrude on others. tom sullivan did an awesome interview with a legislator years ago, and during the interview he asked the lady why she thought she needed to tell people how to live there lives and here answer was "because i have no life" i give her props for her honesty but srsly she shoulda lost her job the minute that left her mouth

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
how about more leanency to violence in schools... here me out

my parents generation, it wasnt as horrible as it gets now, they dont talk about it much, but really a punch to the face of the person making fun of you ends allot of the "bullying"

neighbor who was in school about 7-10 years older than me, was picked on till the day he beat the crap out of the worst one... ended the crap that day... life improved significantly.

when i was in 7th grade, got surrounded by a group of 50+ people who all wanted to get a kick in on me, one who wanted to jump off a small hill to body slam me... not a single teacher who watched it cared. 2 weeks later i choked the person responsible for everything bad in my life at that point till he turned purple. 90% of all the crap that happened to me stopped when they saw it took 6 people to get me off him... same teachers who saw them surround me saw that... reason nothing happend to me... and a week later the other person who... lets say mentally challenged (not really but so stupid) decided to go after me, and after i flipped him over my back down a hill, the rest of the 10% that still annoyed me stopped.

if any of this happened today they(we) would be expelled.
you cant go to a teacher either, because that makes you everyone's enemy.

i really think we should open the doors a bit on violence in schools, because that, as bad as it sounds, is how most problems get solved, and solved fast.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]how about more leanency to violence in schools... here me outmy parents generation, it wasnt as horrible as it gets now, they dont talk about it much, but really a punch to the face of the person making fun of you ends allot of the "bullying"neighbor who was in school about 7-10 years older than me, was picked on till the day he beat the crap out of the worst one... ended the crap that day... life improved significantly. when i was in 7th grade, got surrounded by a group of 50+ people who all wanted to get a kick in on me, one who wanted to jump off a small hill to body slam me... not a single teacher who watched it cared. 2 weeks later i choked the person responsible for everything bad in my life at that point till he turned purple. 90% of all the crap that happened to me stopped when they saw it took 6 people to get me off him... same teachers who saw them surround me saw that... reason nothing happend to me... and a week later the other person who... lets say mentally challenged (not really but so stupid) decided to go after me, and after i flipped him over my back down a hill, the rest of the 10% that still annoyed me stopped. if any of this happened today they(we) would be expelled. you cant go to a teacher either, because that makes you everyone's enemy. i really think we should open the doors a bit on violence in schools, because that, as bad as it sounds, is how most problems get solved, and solved fast.[/citation]
this is very true and so unbelievably ignored.

animeman59

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]how about more leanency to violence in schools... here me outmy parents generation, it wasnt as horrible as it gets now, they dont talk about it much, but really a punch to the face of the person making fun of you ends allot of the "bullying"neighbor who was in school about 7-10 years older than me, was picked on till the day he beat the crap out of the worst one... ended the crap that day... life improved significantly. when i was in 7th grade, got surrounded by a group of 50+ people who all wanted to get a kick in on me, one who wanted to jump off a small hill to body slam me... not a single teacher who watched it cared. 2 weeks later i choked the person responsible for everything bad in my life at that point till he turned purple. 90% of all the crap that happened to me stopped when they saw it took 6 people to get me off him... same teachers who saw them surround me saw that... reason nothing happend to me... and a week later the other person who... lets say mentally challenged (not really but so stupid) decided to go after me, and after i flipped him over my back down a hill, the rest of the 10% that still annoyed me stopped. if any of this happened today they(we) would be expelled. you cant go to a teacher either, because that makes you everyone's enemy. i really think we should open the doors a bit on violence in schools, because that, as bad as it sounds, is how most problems get solved, and solved fast.[/citation]

Amen.

jimmysmitty

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
[citation][nom]bustapr[/nom]thats so wrong. judging by the charity he chose, the guy must really have a terrible belief of what video games are. Hint, not every game is called Grand Theft Auto...[/citation]

This. Its just another way to try and tax people. Add to the fact that all of the gamers I know are pretty slim, I think that it making children obese is just BS.

Obesity comes from parents not showing kids how to eat right and not pushing them to enjoy gaming and go out for sports or to play. I have always been a stick and have always played games.

Most bullies are bullies because they either have a parent who is the same way to them or because they are spoild brats who are never taught right and wrong. I was never a bully, in fact was picked on, and have always played games. Hell I started GTA when I was very young and have yet to shoot a person and steal a car.

Stop blaming games for parents mistakes. Why not put a 1% tax on parents who kids are obese bullies? Make them start teaching their kids how to behave and eat.

I swear, gamers always get shafted.

11796pcs

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
Teen, are you freaking kidding me? I would never smoke in my life, but I don't like the rediculous taxes on cigarettes because it is the government getting involved where it shouldn't. Odd that this bill wasn't introduced by a Republican...

jezus53

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2011
A game cost $60.
Tax is 1%.
So the game now costs $60.60.
Wow, 60 cents will definitely deter the purchase of violent video games.

crewton

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
I agree with Alidan. When I was picked on in the 1st grade I went home crying. My parents told me if he does it again to hit back...I did and it worked so I continued with that mentality. Bullys will go toward the path of least resistance. If you put up a fight, he'll go after that which causes him less effort.

dalauder

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
I don't think they should single out any games--just a 1% tax that goes to programs to get children outside and then this thing would be all positive.

When I was a kid, my friends and I went outside and played basketball or tag in the yard most days at some point (the 90's). Now I never see children outside because they're playing a basketball video game instead. That's a bad thing.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
This is nothing more than a tax scheme. Not only is it one but it is a poorly masked one at that. The average gamer is a adult, there are more adult gamers than there are kids it is a fact. Most money that goes into buying games comes from adults even if teen or kid happens to play it as well in the household. Most kids do not have the disposable income for games as the average adult gamer. Therefor all this really is, is a tax aimed at the popularity of video-games. No where does it say the tax is exempt when a adult purchases the game. I am sure the state program that it is going to will also not see 100% of it or eventually any at all.

I will agree too much gaming to the point of neglecting one's own health is a negative thing that some people do have a problem with. However the act of taxation isn't going to curb this. In children good parenting is the only thing that is going to prevent this. Not a tax, not a government program. The government isn't the answer to all of life's problems. Also how soon would it become 2%? 4%? When the tax stops going to the failure program but still remains and when gamers become the new overtaxed group just like smokers are today.

[citation][nom]jezus53[/nom]A game cost $60.Tax is 1%.So the game now costs $60.60.Wow, 60 cents will definitely deter the purchase of violent video games.[/citation]

You are missing the big picture. This is on top of any other taxes that exist for one. Also just imagine how many sales are made in that state when it comes to every video game rated teen and up. 60 cents. If lets say 1 million games sell in that state in one year that is what $600,000? (doing it from the top of my head may be wrong) Also it is likely only 1% to make it easier to become a tax law and will gradually be increased as time goes on. If successful it will likely spread to other states as well.

zulutech

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2011
Sounds like a disguised left wing plot to get more of the taxpayers money under a, excuse me for doing this, 'cause'.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
I've got a better idea. Apply the tax only to parents buying teen or mature video games for their children that are underaged for the game. Yes, that'll cause some parents to lie just to avoid paying the tax, but hopefully it will inform others what they are buying for their own children, and to a point, maybe discourage.

But if an adult is buying a mature game for themselves, no tax applied.

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
[citation][nom]fb39ca4[/nom]They should tax all games then. After all, they all contribute to obesity. Arguably, leapster type "edu-games" being pushed on toddlers are doing more harm however.[/citation]

By that logic, we should tax sitting down. We should just tax the human body being in any type of idle state. Afterall, sitting down contributes to obesity. Arguably we should be able to tax it.

dimar

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
Everything this guy says sounds so wrong. Looks like he needs some change to build a new house or something like this. Doesn't look like he has proof to anything he's saying..

bygbyron3

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2011
Disregarding the revenue and levy debate and any correlation of violent games and childhood behavior, the logistics of taxing intellectual property does't work well especially in the form of a sales tax.

fixxxer113

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
How old do you have to be in Oklahoma to legally use a real gun, or maybe watch a boxing or wrestling match? Just saying... It's very hypocritical of any politician in a country that has such an obsession with guns and generally killing whoever they don't like, to impose such a tax. I think the only reason for it is that mr. Fourkiller (really?...) realised that violent games sell more than any other type of game, so more sales = more tax income. Other than that, this tax will help reduce adolescent violence as much as forcing Indonesian oyster fishermen to wear blue-jeans, in order to stop people in London sneezing in public...

arlandi

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2007
wow... what next? tax for violent movies? what about music? comics?
and what is the limit that you can really claim to be violent? is Angry Bird a violent game? how about Mario Kart? throwing weapons to other people, is that violent?

Status
Not open for further replies.