Bill to Tax Violent Video Games Introduced in Oklahoma

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

millerm84

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2009
Yeah because there was never a car jacking or school shooting or a case of bulling before GTA. Ignorance seems to be the only measure to becoming a legislator.

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]how about more leanency to violence in schools... here me outmy parents generation, it wasnt as horrible as it gets now, they dont talk about it much, but really a punch to the face of the person making fun of you ends allot of the "bullying"[/citation]
Unfortunately, not every bullied person has the physical stature or mental temperament to confront those who bully them. If they did, I doubt bullying would be in the headlines so much these days.

baddad

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2006
He's just one of the many communist that are running around California who wish to tax the shit out of the people, control their lives, though, how they eat, how they smell and who they screw.

millerm84

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2009
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]how about more leanency to violence in schools... here me outmy parents generation, it wasnt as horrible as it gets now, they dont talk about it much, but really a punch to the face of the person making fun of you ends allot of the "bullying"neighbor who was in school about 7-10 years older than me, was picked on till the day he beat the crap out of the worst one... ended the crap that day... life improved significantly. when i was in 7th grade, got surrounded by a group of 50+ people who all wanted to get a kick in on me, one who wanted to jump off a small hill to body slam me... not a single teacher who watched it cared. 2 weeks later i choked the person responsible for everything bad in my life at that point till he turned purple. 90% of all the crap that happened to me stopped when they saw it took 6 people to get me off him... same teachers who saw them surround me saw that... reason nothing happend to me... and a week later the other person who... lets say mentally challenged (not really but so stupid) decided to go after me, and after i flipped him over my back down a hill, the rest of the 10% that still annoyed me stopped. if any of this happened today they(we) would be expelled. you cant go to a teacher either, because that makes you everyone's enemy. i really think we should open the doors a bit on violence in schools, because that, as bad as it sounds, is how most problems get solved, and solved fast.[/citation]

I really agree with this statement and if I ever find my child (or children if we have more) are being bullied I'll enroll them in a self defense class and let the school administration know they have 2 options keep their students safe or let my child defend themselves. I only got into one fight as a kid and that one fight stopped a nightmare of getting the crap kicked out of me. All we hear growing up is "kill them with kindness" that may work somewhere, but in my experience winning a fight is a lot faster and much less painful.

Apple Troll Master

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2011
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]how about more leanency to violence in schools... here me outmy parents generation, it wasnt as horrible as it gets now, they dont talk about it much, but really a punch to the face of the person making fun of you ends allot of the "bullying"neighbor who was in school about 7-10 years older than me, was picked on till the day he beat the crap out of the worst one... ended the crap that day... life improved significantly. when i was in 7th grade, got surrounded by a group of 50+ people who all wanted to get a kick in on me, one who wanted to jump off a small hill to body slam me... not a single teacher who watched it cared. 2 weeks later i choked the person responsible for everything bad in my life at that point till he turned purple. 90% of all the crap that happened to me stopped when they saw it took 6 people to get me off him... same teachers who saw them surround me saw that... reason nothing happend to me... and a week later the other person who... lets say mentally challenged (not really but so stupid) decided to go after me, and after i flipped him over my back down a hill, the rest of the 10% that still annoyed me stopped. if any of this happened today they(we) would be expelled. you cant go to a teacher either, because that makes you everyone's enemy. i really think we should open the doors a bit on violence in schools, because that, as bad as it sounds, is how most problems get solved, and solved fast.[/citation]

I agree. Same reason we go and kick the shit out of other countries...words don't mean shit...kicking their ass always seems to get them in line.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]dalauder[/nom]I don't think they should single out any games--just a 1% tax that goes to programs to get children outside and then this thing would be all positive.When I was a kid, my friends and I went outside and played basketball or tag in the yard most days at some point (the 90's). Now I never see children outside because they're playing a basketball video game instead. That's a bad thing.[/citation]

me and my friends would play a board game, do a puzzle, or draw when we played, me and my friends were genuinely unathletic, mostly girls and it showed.

if video games weren't around, we would have sat around and probably got into dungeons and dragons earlier instead of later in highschool.

just because some kids are active... there are ones like me who no matter how hard we tried, we would have no stamina and coordination, and get singled out because we suck. and than there are also the people who because of medical reasons cant function in an athletic manor, and we all know at least one... videogames are an equal ground for people like me, and taxing them to fund outside activities were we would be singled out, and be what we avoid, just sounds like a low blow to me.

[citation][nom]northwestern[/nom]The reason schools are so tight about secutiry is to prevent lawsuits up the butt from parents of kids who can't bother to shut their mouth when they need to. Parents hardly want to hear the other side of the story if they know their child is dead right.[/citation]

when i was in school, i believe 6th grade, we had a 0 tolerance policy put in, but it was never enforced... at least till there was a bullet found in the toilet, kid went hunting used backpack, bullet was still in it, tried to flush it, teachers freaked out a bit... understandably so, but still... the principal about a month after the policy was put into place, saw me drawing a gun... not for any reason but i wanted to practice drawing, he sat down, and helped me make it look more realistic, this was a time when doing that in other schools got you suspended.

see you can turn the other cheek for this kind of stuff, teachers getting involved in bullying... though thats what they tell you to do, we all know the fact, if you did, you were the new mark everyone gets the right to crap on, the best way to handle this is just let them fight and when it happens dont go overboard. same school that i got beet at and did what i said in my original post, my brother goes to... he screamed in a kids face, someone who was known for being an... cant say the word, but not reall nice or easy to get along with. he threw my little brothers glasses, he deserved it, and that was the last straw for the school, he was expelled and with that and a bunch of other, really minor things, was sued in court... this is the kind of stuff that happens now...

if a kid gets picked on, he cant go to the teacher, that makes it worse.
he cant throw the punch, because god knows he will get caught... so many times have i been surrounded and beaten for nothing, but i throw a punch and i'm the one who gets in trouble for it because the group lies. so they cant fight back because of the punishment they will most likely get for it...

because of the strictness bullying gets worse because you cant fight back without the possiblity of being expelled, and if your parrents are anything like mine, they will treat the teachers words as the word of god and not accept that there is another side to the story...

sorry that was a bit long and a little rantish.

[citation][nom]jkflipflop98[/nom]By that logic, we should tax sitting down. We should just tax the human body being in any type of idle state. Afterall, sitting down contributes to obesity. Arguably we should be able to tax it.[/citation]

just thought of a tax on high quality chairs and furniture.

[citation][nom]Jalek[/nom]What the MPAA lobbyists who ignore this sort of thing should realize, if "hours and hours of viewing" violence in games is accepted as desensitizing people, movies WILL be next.[/citation]

look at the laws and such that get proposed, and passesd, places like the mpaa own the country.

[citation][nom]Ichy[/nom]The tax; if passed, will only serve as a spear head for a miss guided movement by idiot law makers to quell what they view as the cause of violence and bullying because they make some sort of loose connection to the crime an a scenario from a game. However, I can understand some of their mentality in thinking this do in large part to Isolated incidents where troubled people have claimed that a scenario from a game "inspired" them and they felt a need to recreate the scene for real. The real problem isn't just that the games are getting into the hands of the miss-guided and troubled. It also stems from parents not able to understand the ESRB... and retailers enforcing the ESRB. It may be a bit rash to say, but I feel that game purchases should require ID, just like tobacco or alcohol, though the problem of teens having a stranger purchase the items for them would still be a problem.[/citation]

let me ask you, what age should... halo be, that's one of the better ones to make this argument with. there are many M games that are realistically only a T at most, but because of an arbitrary guideline, get an M rating.

halo had blood, and shooting and that's about it... they don't have realistic dismemberment that some other games have, or even giblets, and if its just multiplayer, in halo 1 it really was just robot looking people fighting robot looking people... and some purple blood.... i remember a game called jet force gemeni, i believe the violence in that was far greater than halo, but was only a T game,

but this is a problem i have with game rating in general. so you know i'm 24 and game ratings no longer apply to me, i just think some games really need to be re looked at for the ratings they get. look at demon souls, i don't remember anything in that game being bad, but it has blood, really i think content wise its closer to a T game with some creepy settings.

[citation][nom]Igot1forya[/nom]I just disagree with sales taxes in general. Lets see how this works...Raw Materials - Mine ores and sell to Foundry - *taxed*Foundry - filter/mold/forge/extrude/extract and sell to Supply Chain - *taxed*Supply Chain - Build simple components and sell to Manufacturer. - *taxed*Manufacturer - Create complex systems/services sell to dealer - *taxed*Dealer - Sell to end user or business - *taxed*End-User - Use product to end of life or resell on used market - *taxed*Where does it end! The taxes paid on these things end up being more than the goods cost to create![/citation]

i cant use the words exactly because this site would sanction me again... but a few years back the new 20$ bill was advertised, and they payed 20-50 million to adverse the new bill... they screw the money away most of the time... realistically, much of the tax we pay goes to not looking for a cheaper as good solution... where we see number like 800$ for a plunger, i wish tax was used for a better purpose, than maybe we wouldn't have so many taxes that amount to little more than social control

[citation][nom]Okrahoma[/nom]Actually, as an Oklahoma resident i can say stuff like this is pretty typical. I mean heck there is a law before the Senate now that would ban Pepsi from putting aborted fetuses in their soft drinks... (seriously)The ironic thing is that people like Fourkiller campagined on the idea of small goverment not meddling in your affairs... then they write laws like thisor the one that you cant use sharia law... in a state that is 99% christianor the one that you have to have an id to vote... even if your in military uniformor the one that they eliminate the income tax... without a way to make up the shortfallor the one that anyone who doesnt pass the 3rd grade reading test is retained or the one that makes english the offical language of the state (good thing this place was never a haven for native americans)[/citation]

sharia law is a law based on a religion right... im atheist, and would support anything banning its use, and this is before you look at countries that do use it where women who are raped get cained and in some cases killed, for having sex outside of marriage.

an id to vote is kind of no brainier if you think of the why, try to imagine how you could exploit the system. needing an id makes it harder.

i think income tax in general should be thrown out and re written... people making 20 mill + paying 13% and people making less than 100k paying 35%+ is sick to me.

being held back because you fail a test... you know i support this, i watched allot of people who should be held back move up... in one case to comply with a law, moved from 7th grade to freshmen year... this person died after senior year because he tried to jump from one car to another... if he didn't get basically a free pass, he may have still been alive today.

i was born, raised, and still live in america, wisconsin to be specific... i believe that to become a citizen, you should only have to have a few things,
1) no felony arrests in other countries for 10 years (from time of arrest, not time of release)
2) a 5 year probation, mostly to make sure you arent part of a criminal subculture (immigrants are more likely to join other country men even if its criminal or borderline criminal)
3) able to speak english, not fluently, but if you cant speak it fluently, that you are taking a class to teach you

that all i believe you need to be a citizen, a mostly clean record, a trial basis, and the ability to speak english. one of the people i know, their mom couldn't speak english, and honestly could not function outside of their home because of it.

[citation][nom]gm0n3y[/nom]I think that a very small tax ([/citation]

like others have said its a gateway... they are hoping there is little opposition, because getting the tax in innitaly is hard, raising it after is easy.

[citation][nom]millerm84[/nom]Yeah because there was never a car jacking or school shooting or a case of bulling before GTA. Ignorance seems to be the only measure to becoming a legislator.[/citation]

you know how they get funding right... corporations don't want someone smart in office, they want someone dumb they an manipulate. i'm not saying this is a corporate law he is making, just he is dumb and the reason why so many of his kind are in office.

[citation][nom]wiyosaya[/nom]Unfortunately, not every bullied person has the physical stature or mental temperament to confront those who bully them. If they did, I doubt bullying would be in the headlines so much these days.[/citation]

meh, the way most of my bullying was because i snapped after years of taking their crap, if the people didnt pull me off of the person i probably would have killed him.

here ill give a bit of backstory.
kinderguarden to first grade, not picked on at all... but in trouble most days because i screw up allot, mostly just a recess i don't get have had to sit down because i did something without thinking.
than we moved
first grade, i was the new kind, un athletic, and a loner because of it, so i was the target everyone messed with. because the boys where horrible to me, i sat by the girls.
first week, people are making fun of me, i gesture my hand in a fanning motion, they tell teacher i flipped them off, i get in trouble and have no idea why... week of no recess.
4 weeks of putting up with their crap later, first fight. get beaten by 3 people, and fight back, i cant do much as i'm week so i bite... teacher sees me biting, not them kicking and hitting me so a week of standing by the teacher helper at recess, they thought it was a punishment but for me it was a week of not dealing with their crap.
this goes on for 4 years... the pattern of me defending myself so i just stop, suddenly it becomes far less fun for them to do crap to me, but the dumbest of the dumb still do...

so another year, and school change for 6-12, 6th grade i was introduced to people i hate more than everyone at the old school combined... 1 and a half years later i snapped and most people realised not to screw with me any more, except one... lets just use first name, dustin. he continued till i fliped him over my back... and stopped till sophomore year where he snapped in shop after spitting im my face 4 times, and i spit in his once, he wasn't the brightest people, trying to fight someone who basically had an ice pick in their hand, i dont know how but i held out a beating without fighting back for a good 3 minutes... ice pick still in hand, if i fought i know i would have ended him right there. instead, i held him under my thumb for 3 years thanks to a few of my friends wanting to fight him, but me holding them back, and a threat of criminal assult charges.

and so you know, i was the weakest person in my school for a long time... and was probably still among the weakest even when i did get taller and grow some amount of muscle, hell till 8th grade most of the girls were still stronger than me... i just learned how to throw a punch, and how to use other parts of my body to do damage, like in the hallway, people tried to trip me often, i learned how to trip them without being tripped myself.

most bullies aren't use to taking a punch, so they will back off if you resist in any form, the ones who do know how to, will lose allot of support from the ones that don't, so at the very least, most of your problems are gone in one punch.

[citation][nom]millerm84[/nom]I really agree with this statement and if I ever find my child (or children if we have more) are being bullied I'll enroll them in a self defense class and let the school administration know they have 2 options keep their students safe or let my child defend themselves. I only got into one fight as a kid and that one fight stopped a nightmare of getting the crap kicked out of me. All we hear growing up is "kill them with kindness" that may work somewhere, but in my experience winning a fight is a lot faster and much less painful.[/citation]

lol, that's true... but don't send the kids to a martial art class, but to a real world defense class, as they will teach you real world ways that even small people and week ones can defend themselves, not a karate class that is mostly all for show.

the kill them with kindness approached worked for me too, but in a different way... i was better at making fun of myself than they were... i got board of people coming up with the rumors so i made them myself... trust me, when you go WAY to into detail of something that makes a person uncomfortable, they tend to back off fast. i cant go into detail because of site rules, but killing with kindness worked for me to some extent. also being the kind of person who can make a VERY convincing threat works too.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Might as well tax extra for guns, bullets, fox"news" channel and churches since they tend to bred actual real life violence and hate. Videos games do not.

wild9

Distinguished
May 20, 2007
"A gentleman shot a police officer and stole his car," he told Oklahoma City's KFOR-TV, referring to a recent incident. "He had been playing Grand Theft Auto."

That in no way means everyone or even most of the people who, play GTA will go out with a gun and shoot a police officer. If this is not the case, where is your research, Rep. William Fourkiller?

The issue of the Mexican border. It's well-researched but seemingly, seldom reported by the mainstream media and corporate America. There is evidence to suggest it's having a terrible impact on this country: the crime; the population explosions; the gangs; the drugs; damage to the environment and strain on state resources. So your administration gets on it's high horse about a flaming computer game - wants to tax the people pay it? Moronic, factually flawed - and hypocritical.

"I believe after hours and hours of watching the screen, playing the video game, being that person and taking on that role, people get desensitized," he added.

Killing innocent people overseas by proxy is far more measurable, destructive and unsustainable for all but those running the whole charade, don't you think? This is no different to slapping a huge sales tax in British drinkers for their own good, and to deter alcoholism. It does not work. It does not address the real reasons why some (not all) people would rather play a computer game in isolation than interact with their immediate environment. Perhaps it's because they are SICK to the back TEETH of seeing politicians lie, cheat, spin and run theiir country into the ground, with little or no means of protest.

Still, I don't fully understand something. I don't really like it. So let's make a profit out of it under the delusion we're doing it for the benefit of the community. Meanwhile, let's brush aside our administration's wrong-doings, let's continue to support wars and agenda's many people are opposed to. Let's look after our own interests. We know best.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
don't be fooled, this is not about keeping kids from palying violent video games , these guys KNOW that the vast majority of gamers are ADULTS not kids, they would have to be stupid not to realise this fact. this is about taxing adults FOR being adults, and playing games pretty much. They don't just want to take stuff away form kids they want to take stuff away from EVERYONE , it's about control and power , and who has it. FU-K oklahoma.

G

Fourkiller is an idiot. When is society going to stop pointing fingers and own up to self-responsibility? Media and entertainment mediums are not the cause of poor behaviour or obesity. There is absolutely no scientific link between violent behaviour and video games (or music, or movies for that matter). Violent acts stem from biological defects and/or ones upbringing. I'm well into my adulthood and I've been playing video games most of my life. I'm not fat nor do I exude any violent or aggressive behavior. My parents saw to that., as I follow suit with my children. Video games don't cause bad behaviour or make people fat; just as guns don't kill people and pens don't make spelling mistakes. It's up to parents to provide guidance, teach moderation and instill good morals, ethics and judgement. This is a poor excuse for a tax grab.

Status
Not open for further replies.