Billionaire Uses Laser to Thwart Paparazzi

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zingam

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
[citation][nom]jellico[/nom]The world is not a zero-sum game. A person being wealthy does not mean that others are necessarily kept in abject poverty.This "lunatic" was born to a fairly typical Russian family. His parents both died at an early age he was raised by his grandmother. [/citation]

In a typical russian-jewish family.

danish_2828

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
I don't think the missile defense system will use missiles. I was thinking more on the lines of the MK 15 Phalanx Close-In Weapons System (CIWS - "sea-whiz"). Which is a fast-reaction, rapid-fire 20-millimeter gun system that is used against anti-ship cruise missiles and fixed-wing aircraft at short range, Phalanx automatically engages functions usually performed by separate, independent systems such as search, detection, threat evaluation, acquisition, track, firing, target destruction, kill assessment and cease fire.

Now if they could only get the Phalanx to assess that the paparazzi is threat.

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
[citation][nom]zingam[/nom]In a typical russian-jewish family.[/citation]
Ok, Russian-Jewish then. The point being that he wasn't born into a life of wealth, power, and priviledge. He's a self-made man, which is an admirable thing and something to be aspired to.

Honestly, if anyone believes that people such as this (and my aforementioned examples: Jobs, Gates, Walton, Dell, Perot, etc.) are evil or exploitative just because they are wealthy and successful, then such a person would have to believe we'd be better off without them, and by proxy, without the fruits of their labor. I can't help but wonder, then, what are those people doing here? None of this cool tech stuff we love to talk about would be possible without these wealthy achievers. For that matter, why do these class-envy hypocrites even own a computer?

Robotica

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
Why doesn't he just train a bunch of sharks to follow him around and attack them when they hassle him? Better yet, sharks with frickin' lasers attached to their frickin' heads!

Kaiser_25

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
[citation][nom]danish_2828[/nom]I don't think the missile defense system will use missiles. I was thinking more on the lines of the MK 15 Phalanx Close-In Weapons System (CIWS - "sea-whiz"). Which is a fast-reaction, rapid-fire 20-millimeter gun system that is used against anti-ship cruise missiles and fixed-wing aircraft at short range, Phalanx automatically engages functions usually performed by separate, independent systems such as search, detection, threat evaluation, acquisition, track, firing, target destruction, kill assessment and cease fire. Now if they could only get the Phalanx to assess that the paparazzi is threat.[/citation]

Sounds like someone was in the navy and a fire control man, ya but AEGIS is the premier missile defense system, but i doubt his going to install a vertical launch system on his yacht, so ya CIWS sounds like the better choice.

precariousgray

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2009
[citation][nom]jellico[/nom]Ok, Russian-Jewish then. The point being that he wasn't born into a life of wealth, power, and priviledge. He's a self-made man, which is an admirable thing and something to be aspired to.Honestly, if anyone believes that people such as this (and my aforementioned examples: Jobs, Gates, Walton, Dell, Perot, etc.) are evil or exploitative just because they are wealthy and successful, then such a person would have to believe we'd be better off without them, and by proxy, without the fruits of their labor. I can't help but wonder, then, what are those people doing here? None of this cool tech stuff we love to talk about would be possible without these wealthy achievers. For that matter, why do these class-envy hypocrites even own a computer?[/citation]

Wow, you seem extremely upset concerning this whole matter. I am sorry to hear this.

What you do not seem to understand is that these people did not do anything unique or spectacular. For the love of God, you even stated all he did was SELL RUBBER DUCKS (among other things, silly). They are simply the individuals who were fortunate enough to attain positions of wealth and power, because the manner in which human beings associate and order themselves tends to elevate one or a small group of people to such positions. Our society and economic structure allow this, and they were the chosen ones, so to speak.

For every Eric Clapton -- or whatever whiney emo band frontman you're fond of -- there are thousands just as good, if not better, who never make it.

Your logic is flawed. Your existence is flawed.

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
[citation][nom]precariousgray[/nom]Wow, you seem extremely upset concerning this whole matter. I am sorry to hear this.What you do not seem to understand is that these people did not do anything unique or spectacular. For the love of God, you even stated all he did was SELL RUBBER DUCKS (among other things, silly). They are simply the individuals who were fortunate enough to attain positions of wealth and power, because the manner in which human beings associate and order themselves tends to elevate one or a small group of people to such positions. Our society and economic structure allow this, and they were the chosen ones, so to speak.For every Eric Clapton -- or whatever whiney emo band frontman you're fond of -- there are thousands just as good, if not better, who never make it.Your logic is flawed. Your existence is flawed.[/citation]
I'm not upset; I just don't like anti-capitalists.

What you're saying is complete non-sense. While there is a component of luck to that degree of success, ultimately these people succeed because of insight, determination and, above all, hard work. I've never heard of a lazy visionary who succeeded at anything. You can have fantasic ideas, but if you don't put in the work then they are for not. You can be an incredibly hard worker, but if you don't have a vision for yourself (not necessarily innovation, but a design for what you want to accomplish), then you are destined to earn a wage your whole life.

The fundamental flaw in your logic is the assumption that EVERYONE has to become Eric Patrick Clapton in order to succeed. I would submit that true success comes from doing what you love and getting paid for it. If you hate what you do, but make a shit-load of money... that is not success. If you love something, but don't get paid for it, that is a hobby.

You claim my existence is flawed, yet your being here is a paradox. You rail against establishment and against those who have created the very mechanism you now use to whine about life's inequities. If you really believed the things you're blathering about, you wouldn't even own a computer. That fact that you are here illustrates that you don't have the courage of your convictions.

bfstev

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
so he got some wide spread IR lasers and some flare guns strapped to his boat and a sub for quick escapes. is he expecting imminent attack or something?

jwl3

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2008
Jellico:

I'm capitalism's biggest fan, but this oligarch didn't make his money in a fair way. Like all Russian oligarchs, he had inside connections with the Russian government which allowed for certain individuals friendly with them to profit off of natural resources like oil and natural gas in exchange for a profit share. All of Russia is run like the mafia, with Putin the "Don. "

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
[citation][nom]JWL3[/nom]Jellico:I'm capitalism's biggest fan, but this oligarch didn't make his money in a fair way. Like all Russian oligarchs, he had inside connections with the Russian government which allowed for certain individuals friendly with them to profit off of natural resources like oil and natural gas in exchange for a profit share. All of Russia is run like the mafia, with Putin the "Don. "[/citation]
Well, I agree with you about that. However, that doesn't change my point. There is nothing special about Abramovich. He was just a normal guy who took advantage of the situation as it arose. He didn't make the system.

owdee

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2007
what a waste of money, any true photographer has a $10 UV filter in his camera bag that would instantly solve the IR light problem

G

Does he have a defense against standard 5" shells or 16" rounds?

Status
Not open for further replies.