Billionaire Uses Laser to Thwart Paparazzi

Status
Not open for further replies.

LORD_ORION

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
You cant shoot missiles at them while in national waters. ;)

On the open seas I am also betting (in a nerd fantasy sort of way) that the lasers can be set to "lethal"... one day.

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
"Want to feel a twinge of envy (or annoyance, depending on your view)? This yacht is the forth in 42-yer-old Abramovich's fleet. "

I am envious of the days when proofreading mattered...

forth != fourth

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
"Currently it's parked in a German shipyard, however once it leaves, the yacht will head to France where it will be fitted with a missile defense system."

Oh, and "Missile defense system" != "missiles"...

Think: a puff of smoke, flares, and bits of foil (laser guidance, heat seeking, and radar countermeasures).

Pei-chen

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
After detecting the electronic light sensors of the camera, the laser system fires off a focused beam of light at the camera that in turn disrupts the device's ability to record a digital image
Meaning the focusing assist light? I don't see how someone can detect the metering sensor or the CMOS sensor itself from afar. Even than, on a bright day, focusing assist light is auto disabled.

cah027

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
Now that is privacy! on the open sea and not even a telephoto lens can see him. That would b nice! Wild parties out in the open !

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
[citation][nom]LORD_ORION[/nom]You cant shoot missiles at them while in national waters. On the open seas I am also betting (in a nerd fantasy sort of way) that the lasers can be set to "lethal"... one day.[/citation]
Who knows if they are paparazzi or pirates? Im pretty sure if you use the "Its coming right for us!" excuse, you can get away with almost anything in international waters.

G

missile defense system that shouldnt be allowed on a non goverment boat

megamanx00

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
Awesome. I would think that it would just be easier to use a focused EMP to permanently disable their digital cameras :D. I Don't think this will do much against good old fashion Film though.

Status
Not open for further replies.