Bing to Be Default Search, Maps for BlackBerrys

Status
Not open for further replies.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
Well, that's great. Bing is just as capable as Google is, especially for English results.

I hope they work on improving results for non-English languages, however.

tulx

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
Bing earch is just as good Google. Bing Maps are better than Google's. I mean the "map" part, not the satelllite (Google has higher res). Also, the address search seems not as good in Bing.

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
As long as people get a choice to later install their favourite provider of maps or search, I am fine with anything that comes by default. Each company will "buy" their way to the default of something, be that a toolbar installed on a computer along with a program, a home page, etc.

macewrox

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2011
Bing is freaking terrible, there are plenty of times when I search on bing, come up with nothing, go to google and get my answer within the first couple links. Bing is just Microsoft's way of expanding into the internet.

mcd023

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
I'm just curious, but how exactly do google and microsoft get money from map service and search engines? who pays for what?

macewrox

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2011
[citation][nom]mcd023[/nom]I'm just curious, but how exactly do google and microsoft get money from map service and search engines? who pays for what?[/citation]

Ads, and companies who pay specific amounts of money can get their pages higher in the search results.

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Uh, they did this a while ago (like a year ago) via a live update on my Tour, although verizon maps was the default map app. Of course, all I had to do was change the default search and it wasn't exactly hard to download/install google maps off of google's site. You're not locked into any app store with BB.

_Cubase_

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
[citation][nom]macewrox[/nom]Bing is just Microsoft's way of expanding into the internet.[/citation]

Dude, the internet is already Microsoft's business, they make a browser, remember?

Hey, I also heard Microsoft is looking into computers too.

Status
Not open for further replies.