BIOS and other viruses/malware through VM?

miha2

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2009
Hello. I have a question. I heard that whayever you have in VM, you have in VM. But what about bios viruses? Of course, I understand that there is a virus that spreads through USB, but... what if I have a VM running and insert a flash drive? There should be a message asking wherher I want to use in Windows or VM. Generally speaking, is there any way to get a virus from a VM? Other than USB?

Solution

In a perfect world, and with hardware assisted virtualization, no it is not possible for a virus to infect the host from within a guest. Absent hardware assisted virtualization it may be possible to concoct some extremely complicated exploit to alter host memory from within a guest, but that kind of virtualization is rarely used as VT-x and...

miha2

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2009
So... it's easy to get a virus then? Let's see...

Through VM it is possible to get viruses on host system:

BIOS virus
Shared folders
USB flash drives.

Any other ways? Or this list is full? Or it's impossible to get a bios virus this way?

I want to be protected

Pinhedd

Distinguished

In a perfect world, and with hardware assisted virtualization, no it is not possible for a virus to infect the host from within a guest. Absent hardware assisted virtualization it may be possible to concoct some extremely complicated exploit to alter host memory from within a guest, but that kind of virtualization is rarely used as VT-x and VT-d are standard on most platforms now.

Solution