Bios cannot detect drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metapod

Prominent
Apr 11, 2017
I managed to installed Windows in the new drive when booting from installation disk however bios cannot detect the drive and hence cannot load Windows although the installation is successful.

Ironsounds

Distinguished
Hello... 1) What is your system hardware?
2) what is your OS?

Make sure you are plugged into the MB sata0/sata1 inputs of the MB... and look at the communications setting to that port in the BIO's... typically you want it set for ACHI or IDE.

Sometimes you can do a manual read by the BIO's in that section too... and after a read do a save&exit of the BIO's.

You could need a UEFI BOOT or security setting change in your BIO's too with WIN10. B /

Metapod

Prominent
Apr 11, 2017
Asus gryphon Z87, intel i7, 8G RAM. Windows 10.

I've checked the sata port and it works fine and the setting on AHCI.

How do i do manual read?

The reason I installed new OS because my previous drive has failed (damaga sectors) but it can still be detected just fine by bios although can no longer load Windows from it.

Ironsounds

Distinguished
Hello... What brand model of New drive?

Why is this TAG listed under laptop?

Typically you need to check your BOOT order and then save&exit your BIO's with any new hardware connection... are you connected with just this drive and no other?

Was your previous install WIN10?

Ironsounds

Distinguished
Hello... as a "simple test" remove all other drive connections... and try booting from all the different SATA ports on your MB... maybe you have a damaged hardware chip? B /

ALSO try a different Power input cable and different SATA cable to the drive... these can have damage or wear to them too B /

Typically they use one chip for two SATA inputs... so SATA MB connectors 3-4 and Sata 5-6 will be different physical electrical circuits B )

Metapod

Prominent
Apr 11, 2017
Tried it on my archive drive (no OS) and ths bios can detect it just fine.

Could it be drive problem? I tested the drive on a dock on different PC it works fine just caanot be detected by bios.

Ironsounds

Distinguished
Hello... I'm not WIN10 guy yet... and there is UEFI... security... and GPT partitions of large drives... it's hard for me from HERE to do/look/test all the screens I would normally look at B /

Yes... HD's are becoming less used and manufactured these days... so quality and parts are becoming ? B /

Try a repost again for a ""WIn10 WD 2TB drive problem" and tag it "western digital" there is a WD guy/lady here that could respond/assist you here. B / they will tell you to DL their WD test app for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.