BioShock 2 PS3 Has Crazy HDD Req, PC OK

Status
Not open for further replies.

footsoldier

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009
Hmm..PC still takes much more storage space compared to consoles (which installation not really a necessity). I don't see why. Would someone please explain this to me?

AMW1011

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2009
The entire game is installed to the PC's hard drive. The game disk is in no way active except for a security check when starting the game. This reduces load times considerably and is one of the PC's advantages since the PC usually has far more storage space than consoles. It's been this way for a long time and likely won't change.

stridervm

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2008
Because you still need the game DVD/BluRay inside the console, while PC games can be run wholly on the instaaled data. Unless it's DRM infested.

BoxBabaX

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009
[citation][nom]AMW1011[/nom]The entire game is installed to the PC's hard drive. The game disk is in no way active except for a security check when starting the game. This reduces load times considerably and is one of the PC's advantages since the PC usually has far more storage space than consoles. It's been this way for a long time and likely won't change.[/citation]

And besides, with the cost of good mechanical hard drives being so low (caviar black, 7200.12, or F3), it doesn't really matter.

yslen

Distinguished
May 26, 2008
I imagine the larger space requirement for the pc indicates the console versions require the DVD + the installed data to run and/or the level of compression is higher for console versions. much lower max resolution means smaller texture files? also potentially lower quality audio (?) as most people will be listening to it on tinny TV speakers rather than the almost mandatory sound systems PC gamers use when not using headphones...

just guesswork!

cheepstuff

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
@footsoldier
the consoles dont actually store all the data on the hard drive, they leave much of it on the disk. this is necessary when the consoles have so little on-board memory to begin with.

the PC version stores all of the data on the HD because it:
1) the PC has a lot of room
2) it decreaces load times
3) you dont need the disk, just a Steam membership

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
god... have they improved the visualls at all??

I sware they'd be the same specs as the first game...

DAMN YOU CONSOLES!!!

also, ps3 owners can just buy a cheap 250, 320, 500 gig harddrive, don't care.

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
"SecuROM offers unlimited activations on up to 5 PCs"
Not as bad as the first but still not acceptable. It will not see my gaming rig.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]Regulas[/nom]"SecuROM offers unlimited activations on up to 5 PCs"Not as bad as the first but still not acceptable. It will not see my gaming rig.[/citation]You're gonna go through 5 PCs before a crack is available?

burnley14

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
Uh, is this article a joke? Every game installed to the console's HDD takes at least this much space. 5GB is nothing, Mass Effect takes up over 10GB.

bison88

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
[citation][nom]burnley14[/nom]Uh, is this article a joke? Every game installed to the console's HDD takes at least this much space. 5GB is nothing, Mass Effect takes up over 10GB.[/citation]

Not for the 360? I only have 60GB HDD on mine and still have 49.7GB left.

nforce4max

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
On the requirements and recommended I am on the clear however the SecuROM is a turn off so crack it is as always, legit and torrent copies for any game that has it. Some bits on a disk please piff...

efeat

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
Windows LIVE required (to save) + SecuROM = 0% chance for purchase.

SecuROM I could put up with; I did for Mass Effect 1, but Windows LIVE is horrendous.

seantm

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2010
I was able to load Fallout3 without its install disk by simply going into the folder and double clicking the .exe file. I hope I can do the same with Bioshock 2. Putting discs in drives is for console cavemen!

d-block

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
you won't have to install it to the hdd for the 360. it is a much better machine than the horribly thought out ps3. two thumbs down sony

trih

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
If Windows LIVE is required to play the game then it's a no-go. SecuROM doesn't bother me much as I'll most likely use a crack even if I buy the game as I don't want to bother with a disk.

kyzar

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2010
If Windows LIVE is required to play the game then it's a no-go. SecuROM doesn't bother me much as I'll most likely use a crack even if I buy the game as I don't want to bother with a disk.

If you are going to buy it, just get it on Steam and have no disc without having to legitimise piracy efforts.

Status
Not open for further replies.