BioWare Responds to Fans, Will Clarify Mass Effect 3 Ending

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

billybobser

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
same as modern film, making the ending purely the introduction into the next movie/game and forgetting the climax leaving people in no man's land.

One of the worst offenders I've seen this year had to be the underworld movie, which basically said "thanks for your money, see you next time".

hoof_hearted

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
[citation][nom]xPandaPanda[/nom]So the 75 reviews are more important than the numerous players?[/citation]

Reviews that were bought and paid for...

Real reviews come from actual players on message boards

G

"Clarify" does not mean they will change the ending or even expand on it.

Where are the 16 "wildly different" endings they promised? Closure AFTER we make our final choices? What happens to the unexplainable space magic? The circular logic of the Master AI?

No, we want an ending that sticks to their promises and makes sense, not some pre-ending DLC that maybe foreshadows the Master AI and gives us extra time with our crew. We want closure for the trilogy, that is what they promised.

Hold the line, people, hold the line!

aleobul

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
Pointing to critics is as defensive as it gets. The ending is just lame and unsatisfying. The fact that multiplayer participation is required to have all endings available may in fact be actionable since all of the pre-release materials noted that it would not be required. The game itself is a streamlined ME2 shooter with dialog here and there. I would say it's the least satisfying of the three.

soccerplayer88

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
Meanwhile as reports surfaced that BioWare was considering an alternate ending, Mass Effect 3 Exec Producer Casey Hudson came out of the woodwork and defended the game's ending, adding that fans should look forward to compelling new content over the next year.

LOL! Does EA's greed know no bounds? And if we're referring to critic ratings, strange that the average user score is somewhere between 3-5, maybe you should listen to your fans instead of making money and catering to the media?

phexac

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
This is why I don't buy games on release day any more. Professional reviews are completely worthless for learning the truth about the quality of the game.

I was waiting for ME3 to buy and play through the whole series. Thanks to seeing the players' reaction, I can safely save myself $100. But I am sure getting the game out 2 weeks sooner was way worth it.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]aleobul[/nom]Pointing to critics is as defensive as it gets. The ending is just lame and unsatisfying. The fact that multiplayer participation is required to have all endings available may in fact be actionable since all of the pre-release materials noted that it would not be required. The game itself is a streamlined ME2 shooter with dialog here and there. I would say it's the least satisfying of the three.[/citation]

Oh, dear, lord. Monte Cristo became defunct last year when they tried to force online play on their city-simulator Cities XL. The result? Terrible sales and lots of unhappy customers, a dynamite stick for small developers that don't have the deep pockets to weather out the failure.

hotroderx

Distinguished
May 15, 2008
To me the article read that EA will release the ending as DLC content for you to buy. Maybe I didn't fully understand the article but now there is zero chance I will buy Mass Effect 3. I played the demo and it was pretty cool looking and was on my list of games to get. People can say what they want about blizzard and I agree blizzard is not the best company but at least they don't charge extra for the end of there games.

Zingam_Duo

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
Yeah, yeah... bull-stuff! If an ending needs an explanation it means just one thing: the author has done a bad job! BTW I have only registered to just comment on that.

ME1 was a major, unique massive experience - an almost perfect game that was much better and fun than the average boring DnD RPG. .
ME2 had a great engaging story and very crappy third person shooter part that I wished never happened but it was no longer an RPG game.
ME3 was well.... simply a pure shooter with some cut scenes and an interactive dialog, a better shooter than ME2 and much better at that but still an average boring shooter.

How the hell did this game transformed from a space RPG with a great story and good gameplay to an average shooter with lame ending?

So I guess BioWare went commercial and listened to "customers" and mutated a great RPG action game to a shooter game. Blah! So I can only laugh at user El_Spiko's comments about the ending because BioWare/EA lied to their customers that they are developing an RPG series and what we got is a shooter with a story.

Although much better as a shooter ME3 failed to deliver an epic atmosphere. The design of the reapers is lame. The reaper minions are lame. The attack scene (when the Reapers attack Earth) is totally unepic and lame.

Well, ME3 is not bad but nothing really special either, just another shooter on the shelf.

When there is too much hype and people fall for it easily the end result is an lame ending that needs an explanation by the developer :D

Zingam_Duo

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
[citation][nom]hotroderx[/nom]To me the article read that EA will release the ending as DLC content for you to buy. Maybe I didn't fully understand the article but now there is zero chance I will buy Mass Effect 3. I played the demo and it was pretty cool looking and was on my list of games to get. People can say what they want about blizzard and I agree blizzard is not the best company but at least they don't charge extra for the end of there games.[/citation]

Well, the game has a proper ending but not very amazing. That's it.

Zingam_Duo

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
[citation][nom]aleobul[/nom]Pointing to critics is as defensive as it gets. The ending is just lame and unsatisfying. The fact that multiplayer participation is required to have all endings available may in fact be actionable since all of the pre-release materials noted that it would not be required. The game itself is a streamlined ME2 shooter with dialog here and there. I would say it's the least satisfying of the three.[/citation]

I don't remember ME1 very well but it required a tactic thought to play it. In ME2 they've introduced these shitty thermal clips lying everywhere that turned the game into another Quake clone or Modern Warfare-like game. Just reload and that's it....

And where is the Harbinger! I have thought that will get to meet the Harbinger. Was the dumb kid at the end the Harbinger, dammit?

jackbling

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
FYI to the apologist:

The ending in the game is not the original that was written.

Spoiler Alert, both original and current endings.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/995452-mass-effect-3/62194525

"Drew Karpyshyyn's original draft for ME3's ending which explained the motivations behind the Reapers. They were supposed to be a union of countless alien races with the first-generation Reapers having discovered in the distant past that Dark Energy (which was alluded to in ME2 during Tali's recruitment mission) was threatening the entire galaxy/universe, and so they preserved themselves in Reaper shells and tried to do the same to 'save' other sufficiently advanced races, while attempting to figure out a permanent solution for untold millions of years, although they were unable to find one up to the present.

At least it would have made slightly more sense than (SPOILERS) the Catalyst making synthetic beings to wipe out organics every 50k years so the organics wouldn't make synthetics that would wipe them out. Yeah..."

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
They don't need a new ending, they just need an epilogue that will cover what exactly happened to important characters and places from the series (like they have at the end of Fallout games).

oxiide

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2011
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]They don't need a new ending, they just need an epilogue that will cover what exactly happened to important characters and places from the series (like they have at the end of Fallout games).[/citation]
Exactly this. I don't mind the ending so much as I resent not knowing what happened to everyone else in the aftermath. I want to know what happens between the Quarians and Geth, if the Krogan can truly get along with everyone else afterward, how the other races view humans after, etc.

[semi-spoiler] Then there's that weird, unexplained Normandy crash scene at the end that Vega (who was in my squad back on Earth) walked out of. All indications at that point were that my squad got vaporized by a Reaper.

I actually thought the rest of the game was the best in the series. Sometimes by far.

shin0bi272

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
I loved how bioware was like we setup the entire series so your decisions mattered and all that crap... then in the very end you get 3 choices all of them crappy. I went paragon my entire series and didnt even romance anyone in ME2 so I could stay faithful to ashley for ME3... Then they F*CK it all up in the last 15 min of the game and by REQUIRING (allegedly) you to play online to get enough war readiness to be able to get the best ending. Screw you bioware from now on if you release a game Im pirating it! assholes.

shin0bi272

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
Oh also... look up where the Thanix cannon came from. The normany has one of those and quite a few turian ships Id imagine too. Yet no one can fight the reapers head on huh? Plus all they have to do is go for something like the geth hack into the reaper's consciousness and bring down the kenetic barriers and then any plain old bullet will hurt the reaper... like we saw in ME1 when sovereign transferred his consciousness into saren and then when you killed saren the second time the kinetic barriers on the shell of the reaper were down and anything could hurt it then. They could have gone EITHER of those routes but noo they chose to be dicks about it.

magnetite

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2008
Clarifying the ending sounds good. Trying to make an ending which everyone will like will be hard, so this is a good alternative.

hetneo

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
I played both ME and ME2 in weeks before ME3 came out. To be honest that ending is actually one of better things in game. The only fault to ending I can find is that dialogue with Stargazer and kid and lack of any logic in it. But overall game doesn't warrant to receive ratings above 70. Story is good but everything else is below par. Sluggish controls, unusable realistic map that more hides things than shows (yes true only Normandy and Citadel have maps, which actually just makes things worse), animation glitches (after many dialogues you can see characters being moved to different location or your party members being stuck in cover way before elevators), mission mechanics and broken journal (you pick up most of side missions by overhearing people's convos at Citadel and journal shows no changes of mission status), lack of any logic in timing of many interrupts during dialogues, list goes on and on.

Status
Not open for further replies.