BioWare's The Old Republic Now Free Until Level 15

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thegh0st

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
[citation][nom]john_4[/nom]Sorry EA's bitch Bioware but Origin is not going onto my gaming rig.[/citation]
not sure what you are talking about. I have no Origin on my gaming rid and I have SWTOR on there and it works fine.

thegh0st

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
[citation][nom]xelliz[/nom]I can't say much for later parts of the game, but I was in the beta and I had a lot of fun playing it. I just didn't sub when it was released because I try to avoid MMO's since they tend to steal your soul...and your life.[/citation]
glad someone pointed this out but you quoted the wrong two people!

[citation][nom]Tomfreak[/nom]by the time GW2 out, 400,000 subs will become 200,000.[/citation]
these are the two people you should have quoted that apparently have no reading comprehension.
obviously he doe not get the fact that the OP is actually saying SWTOR will gain back 200K subscripts. lol
[citation][nom]aggroboy[/nom]and the same won't happen to GW2?[/citation]

thegh0st

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
oh wow weird misquote there Tom's did. and why did it put the second quote at the bottom? eh I can never find in the forum's where to edit comments.

anyways as I was trying to point out the OP referenced the same number as in the article (400K) which heavily implies he didn't comprehend the article however there is a slight chance he just forecasted the shrinking amount of subscriptions to the same number. However, I seriously doubt the latter.

Nightsilver

Distinguished
May 4, 2007
The whole MMO industry is going to the dogs, and not just because of Dev/Management incompetency.

The communities are horrible, too, and that's a BIG reason that MMOs fail. When people aren't smart enough to play the game properly, they give wildly inaccurate feedback as to what needs to be "fixed". As an example, the "Resolve" system in swtor has been in place since launch, has remained unchanged, is incredibly simplistic and effective in how it works and yet the vast majority of the playerbase have absolutely no idea what it does, blathering all over the forums that it "doesn't work".

Another problem is that current generation MMO players "WANTS EVERYTHINGS NOWS". They don't want to invest time in the game. They want to log on a couple hours a week and accomplish/attain everything that the game has to offer.

That is a horrible model for an MMO. So you get everything there is to get with little or no effort, and you get bored, and you complain that there's nothing to do. So they give you something to do, and you complain that it's too hard and takes too long. So they make it easier - and you get what you want, and complain that there's nothing to do.

fb39ca4

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011
[citation][nom]Zingam_Duo[/nom]Star Wars MMO game, especially one based on the later movies... that ought to suck big time![/citation]
This was based on the later movies...

tk1138

Honorable
Mar 20, 2012
This game is worse than trash, and bioware is also worse than trash....wasted my money on this garbage...hopefully no one else will....

xerroz

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
They dropped the ball with this game. Should've gone with a F2P right off the bat and made more profit / keep players happy. They just didn't do enough work trying to predict how the market was going to shift

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I really want the majority of MMOs to fail. They are just repetitive crap and are slowing the development of proper single player games. First it was KOTOR and I was kinda pissed. But now that The Elder Scrolls is going MMO I'm about to just give up on gaming. I would be fine if they just licensed out the content to a third party MMO studio and continued making their single player games but instead we will just never see another one.

cirdecus

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2008
It takes a LOT of money to bring suitable content to an MMO launch that is on par with a game like WoW. Even Blizzard didn't have great end-game when WoW was released. It took them FOREVER.

Now that Blizzard has an established subscriber base and more importantly subscriber REVENUE, they can invest big into content, patches, expansions, etc.

This is also the reason why new MMO's face almost certain failure, because no developer or publisher has the money to invest enough in the game at launch to have it live up to a WoW type of MMO. No WAY is the money there. Until subscribers are won and revenue starts coming in, there won't be money there to expand.

I think any gamer who likes Star Wars and who has played the KOTOR games was looking forward to this game. It wasn't just hype. This could be one of the greatest MMO's if they had the time and money to keep up with compelling and rich content and found a way to deliver it properly like WOW does.

For those of you who haven't played, the story, single player content of the game is well worth the price of a couple months subscription plus the game. Fantastic game all around until you finish the storylines and hit 50. Then you'll be wonder where the story takes you from there....

XZaapryca

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009
Devs houses need to worry less about being billionaires and more about fame and admiration. The corporatocracy isn't the best developer of games and only really care about their shareholders. This legal entity, fiduciary duty BS is killing everything.

The MMO community can suck pretty hard at times because of a few lamebrains. Perhaps private servers is the road to take. The suits can charge a license fee based on how many people can login at once. The consumer can chose which server lives or dies. Each server can be highly customizable and levels of moderation or community policing will vary the experience, allowing people to play where they like. Oh crap....sounds like a BBS.

cirdecus

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2008
not a fan of corporatism myself, but it doesn't cost money to run servers and it does cost money for developers time. They don't work for free and Dell/IBM/HP don't create servers for free.

I think what it's going to take is a team of highly talented developers that can sell their creation so well that they can get investors who are willing to take abnormal risk onboard to front up the cash to pay for these things.

Let's be honest, Blizzard had no idea WoW was going to be this big. Out of all the possible universes (Final Fantasy, Star Wars, Star Trek, Elder Scrolls, etc) who would've though an RTS game would've been the MMO game of choice.

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Lack of good end game PVP killed SWTOR more than anything else. When will MMO devs learn that PVE will bring players in but good PVP will keep them on the servers. Before I left I recall Pubs doing well in WZs and Imps owning Ilum.

Bioware doing everything they can to hold and get new players but still failing to make good PVP content so I see SWTOR being fully F2P within a year after launch.

d_kuhn

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2002
I don't think any MMO that just follows the WoW recipe is going to ever "displace" WoW... they've got economies of scale and can spend lots of cash to keep ahead. SWTOR introduced a few interesting ideas (like LOTRO did) but really didn't deviate much from the MMO gameplay recipe.

john_4

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
[citation][nom]thegh0st[/nom]not sure what you are talking about. I have no Origin on my gaming rid and I have SWTOR on there and it works fine.[/citation]
If thats the case I may give it try, NOT.

kyee7k

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2006
I maxed out my guardian and smuggler during my free-to-play weekend. Kind of bored after playing through SWTOR. However, the building architecture NPCs and starships looked superb.

Always hitting the 1-2-1-4-2-6-1-3, etc. made me apathetic about the missions (kill or stompfest everything). The only quality that made me want to continue the game was to improve my armor and weapons. Seeing the LPs of other players makes me less enthusiastic about the game, although I'm game if I feel like playing it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.