Bitting off more than I can chew

kabahl

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2009
I have a hp dv9320us. I want to gut it and build a custom hp. I fancy an i7-920xm board witha workhorse integrated graphics if it can be fitted. The laptop is 17 inch. #1 is it possible to use the current gutted body. #2I prefer an integrated graphics because I like the dv9000 body and don't prefer carting an unabridged encyclopedia around for graphics/gaming/report writing purposes. Please advise.

Solution

You'd think that would be true, but having dismantled many notebooks, I can tell you it's not true. The chassis and board designs...
Just about the only practical things you can do with a laptop in terms of upgrades would be either more memory and a new/faster hard drive (i.e. 5400 rpm to 7200 rpm). Otherwise than that, if you want more performance, your best bet is to save yourself the headache and save up for a new laptop.

kabahl

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2009
well I can understand the I/O ports would be different...but I was just looking over a dv7 body and I can't really tell the differences other than the i/o and the stated internal up-teched components. hp or any other corp for that matter are not in the business of redesigning chassis any more than Ford or Chrysler was in their various lines of cars that had a basic body and different internal components. They just branded them a different name. If I ever had the pleasure of hearing to dim-wits argue that a mercury was better of worse than a ford I would be laughing my head off. Somethings got to fit?

frozenlead

Distinguished

You'd think that would be true, but having dismantled many notebooks, I can tell you it's not true. The chassis and board designs change from model to model in most (if not all) cases.

Solution

kabahl

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2009
Well, I'll have to take your word for it because I've never cracked open a laptop but I still don't swallow it all. lets just say i don't have the time or money to burn so I'll consider the aspect of being wrong and except your answer. Thanks for the cold shower guys.

kabahl

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2009
by the way, nice rig frozenlead, yes I do have computer envy, but I hope you put a SSD in that for your OS drive, (I can't tell what the Corsair or HAF is).

frozenlead

Distinguished
The Corsair is a power supply and the HAF is a very nice chassis. I don't have an SSD, nor do I want one. The types of computing I do are not very hard disk i/o intensive - getting one would be a waste of money. But thanks - she's a sharp rig, worth every penny spent thus far.