BitTorrent Intros Secure, Private Dropbox Alternative

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Sounds like a generic FTP server setup to me. Only difference is instead of a typical web address you are using a "key" and bittorrent can snoop in your stuff.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
Oh, I don't know, I have Dropbox, Skydrive and Google Drive on all my computers and devices. I'm not sure which one is best, they're all perfectly fine for what I use them for, which is nothing.

thecolorblue

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
[citation][nom]sdfihueiaguf[/nom]Sounds like a generic FTP server setup to me. Only difference is instead of a typical web address you are using a "key" and bittorrent can snoop in your stuff.[/citation]
encrypted from everyone vs dropbox, google, etc has a readable version with a copy that goes here --> http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2012/03/ff_nsadatacenter/

even a halfwit buffoon can see that the cloud storage options offered by dropbox, google, microsoft, ___... etc...etc...etc... are nothing that anyone on the planet should use

abbadon_34

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
Anyone who thinks ANY company, public or non-profit, large or small, will protect your privacy is naive. Not always their fault, but at some level each will cave. "Cloud" is the worst thing to happen to privacy since Facebook. If you don't take precautions, noone else will.

kjoz

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012
usually governments get what governments want... Take a look at Switzerland (not related to this)

USA made them change their banking rules that go back hundreds of years... and you don't think they can get a company to hand over some data that is "encrypted"??

Nothing special in my opinion!

frish

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
[citation][nom]thecolorblue[/nom]encrypted from everyone vs dropbox, google, etc has a readable version with a copy that goes here --> http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2 [...] atacenter/even a halfwit buffoon can see that the cloud storage options offered by dropbox, google, microsoft, ___... etc...etc...etc... are nothing that anyone on the planet should use[/citation]
That's a very arrogant opinion. I personally find dropbox very convenient for sharing files and easy to manage. Maybe you need to be cautious in sharing more private files maybe even encrypting them, but to say that they don't have a place at all is just silly.

randomizer

Distinguished
[citation][nom]kjoz[/nom] and you don't think they can get a company to hand over some data that is "encrypted"??[/citation]

What does it matter if they did? There's no difference between encrypted data and random noise unless you have the key.

kjoz

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012
[citation][nom]randomizer[/nom]What does it matter if they did? There's no difference between encrypted data and random noise unless you have the key.[/citation]

I mean handing over data that you think was encrypted, completely unencrypted.. Take Blackberry for an instance.. all the data that goes through their servers is encrypted.. They stated that there's way's to get the data but its against "Policy"

If you place something encrypted on their servers without using their algorithms, then your all set

stan_25

Honorable
Jan 28, 2013
I find working with Dropbox easier and it is not only about security. One needs to give performance, efficiency and reliability its due importance as well and Dropbox has been quite good in those areas. And especially since Dropbox has integrated with GroupDocs, my nightmares of having to sync files from one platform to the other are over. I open my Dropbox files directly from GroupDocs account and edit those without much hassle. I would definitely vote in favour of Dropbox for giving a great solution to the users. The details of this integration can be followed from here:

http://groupdocs.com/blog/groupdocs-document-management/archive/2012/08/15/announcing-dropbox-integration-with-groupdocs-apps-suite.html

Status
Not open for further replies.